IGNORED

King for a day - YOUR NJ, Wildlife Management plan

Ok I will finally bite and weigh in. 
Two bucks a year BUT season specific. One with bow and one with gun. 
Bow- Oct 1st through Dec 31st buck tag purchase required

Gun- Second week of Nov(3days) followed by second week of Dec(6days)buck tag purchase required

January 1st- 14th common season gun and bow does only, doe permit required

AWM

3 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I would like to see a Max Cap on how many Spring Gobblers that can be taken by any one Spring Turkey Hunter.

It should be 1 Gobbler Max for every Permit Week + Saturdays. 

So if a Spring Turkey Hunter  buys - A,B,C,D, + E for his or her chosen Zone and is successful with each Turkey Permit- that is 5 Gobblers.

That should be the Max Cap in New Jersey- 5 Gobblers Tops in time periods A,B,C,D + E.  I think 5 is plenty enough and equals the Alabama Max Take of 5 Gobblers.

This would also give a much less experienced  Spring Turkey Hunter on Public Land a Fighting Chance to bag his or her Tom.

Let's say a Spring Turkey Hunter easily took Gobbler #1 on his Private Land on the first morning of A Week and that same day goes out and buys another A Week Turkey Permit if they are still available  over the counter and on Morning # 2 decides to hunt his or her Favored + close by Public Land.

And another Gobbler is called up to the Gun + Bagged easily on day # 2. While on the same Public Land is a much less experienced  Spring Turkey Hunter  who has perhaps just a few Lifetime Spring Gobblers to his credit or even Zero Gobblers.  

He or She is about a 1/4 mile away when that Tom was Gobbling . So that person heads that way with hopeful thoughts and not much in the way of Woodsmanship or Calling Skills and then - Boom.

And perhaps that same Spring Hunter who has 2 Toms already decides to try for another Tom that A Week. There are 3 days left. 

So that person goes to another Public Area and takes Gobbler #3 . He is saving his own Private Land for His or Her Saturday Permit.

And it goes on like this until the Season is over. 8 and possibly 10+ Gobblers could be taken by just 1 Spring Hunter while other Hunters possibly go the Season without filling a Tag.

What,I am saying is that NJ should put a Max Cap on 5 Spring Gobblers for any 1 Hunter. 

Not saying any thing against your thoughts but permits are given based on the number the divisions calculations of population as related to carrying capacity. (At least that's what it is supposed to be)  looking at harvest numbers we stay pretty consistent for a number of years.  Without those taking even say 2 per segment populations could potentially sky rocket,  as they have in some areas I hunt but most of that is to proximity of houses.  They were removing birds due to aggression and I know for a fact that at least 15 birds were taken from the area from 2 seasons ago by myself n people i know that's not counting the people I dont know.  Last year while I chose not to shoot jakes the only opportunities I had. I know of 13 birds that were taken and the population is still very hi.

4 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I would like to see a Max Cap on how many Spring Gobblers that can be taken by any one Spring Turkey Hunter.

So if a Spring Turkey Hunter  buys - A,B,C,D, + E for his or her chosen Zone and is successful with each Turkey Permit- that is 5 Gobblers.

That should be the Max Cap in New Jersey- 5 Gobblers Tops in time periods A,B,C,D + E.  I think 5 is plenty enough and equals the Alabama Max Take of 5 Gobblers.

This would also give a much less experienced  Spring Turkey Hunter on Public Land a Fighting Chance to bag his or her Tom.

Let's say a Spring Turkey Hunter easily took Gobbler #1 on his Private Land on the first morning of A Week and that same day goes out and buys another A Week Turkey Permit if they are still available  over the counter and on Morning # 2 decides to hunt his or her Favored + close by Public Land.

And another Gobbler is called up to the Gun + Bagged easily on day # 2. While on the same Public Land is a much less experienced  Spring Turkey Hunter  who has perhaps just a few Lifetime Spring Gobblers to his credit or even Zero Gobblers.  

He or She is about a 1/4 mile away when that Tom was Gobbling . So that person heads that way with hopeful thoughts and not much in the way of Woodsmanship or Calling Skills and then - Boom.

And perhaps that same Spring Hunter who has 2 Toms already decides to try for another Tom that A Week. There are 3 days left. 

So that person goes to another Public Area and takes Gobbler #3 . He is saving his own Private Land for His or Her Saturday Permit.

And it goes on like this until the Season is over. 8 and possibly 10+ Gobblers could be taken by just 1 Spring Hunter while other Hunters possibly go the Season without filling a Tag.

What,I am saying is that NJ should put a Max Cap on 5 Spring Gobblers for any 1 Hunter. 

What you have there is "he shot my turkey" syndrome. Every single one of us has the same chances at the same number of birds so why limit someone because he is successful. (BTW I am not one of them, its been two years since I shot a jake).  We have a quota on birds/zone so if the tag is available there is no reason to limit anyone. IMO

2 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Ok I will finally bite and weigh in. 
Two bucks a year BUT season specific. One with bow and one with gun. 
Bow- Oct 1st through Dec 31st buck tag purchase required

Gun- Second week of Nov(3days) followed by second week of Dec(6days)buck tag purchase required

January 1st- 14th common season gun and bow does only, doe permit required

I am ok with that provided you are allowed to use bow in place of "gun".    In fact why not just change "gun" to any weapon so that archery tackle, muzzy, or gun can be used ?  (and allow straight walled rifle cartridges). 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Your idea has some merit but I think we need do away with the zones and allow a maximum of 2 Turkey for the season shot anywhere in state. I also do not think there are many guys that take 8 birds a season but I am sure there are a few greedy hunters that do. @ birds max we will be much better off overall. The only looser here is the GREEDY STATE OF NJ who bleeds us dry with resident fees for all these individual areas. If you had one permit good for the entire state to take two birds if an area you are hunting poops out you could move to another and not get cut out buy guys who guy out all the zones they can get.  THATS JUST MY 2 CENTS.

And for the record I do buy several zone permits just so I have options where to hunt and I ALWAYS STOP AT 2 BIRDS. 

the state

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

FW has estimated that there are 21,000 to 23,000 turkeys in NJ every year for over 20 years.  There are about 27,000 permits available yearly and usually all are sold.  ChaChing!  They aren't going to change anything except the amount charged for the permits.  

Hunters get something close to 3,000 turkeys yearly.   

9 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

FW has estimated that there are 21,000 to 23,000 turkeys in NJ every year for over 20 years.  There are about 27,000 permits available yearly and usually all are sold.  ChaChing!  They aren't going to change anything except the amount charged for the permits.  

And cut the permits and populations would get worse.  As I said tgere is an area that is removing birds due to aggression and that is even with the average life span of a turkey somthing like 3 years.  Its been said before 10 percent of hunters take 90 percent of the birds 

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

What you have there is "he shot my turkey" syndrome. Every single one of us has the same chances at the same number of birds so why limit someone because he is successful. (BTW I am not one of them, its been two years since I shot a jake).  We have a quota on birds/zone so if the tag is available there is no reason to limit anyone. IMO

With all due respect to you,I  disagree with your assessment. 

Taking into account  that the New Jersey Wild Turkey Population is estimated at just 23,000 . What,I layed out if,I  was King for a Day would be to put a reasonable and very generous  Cap on 5 Spring Gobblers max for any 1 Spring Turkey Hunter. 

When you write that- " Every One Of Us Has The Same Chances"-- that is not entirely  accurate. 

As,I  wrote in my above post. But this time say 20 Spring Turkey Hunters Statewide take a Gobbler on their Private Land and then take Gobbler #2 on Public Land on Day 2 of " A Week". And on that day #2 there were 20 Spring Turkey Hunters nearby. And all of them with less then 4 Springs under their belt.

Do you think these much less experienced  Spring Turkey Hunters have the same chance?

It has nothing to do with- " he shot my Turkey " Syndrome.  It has to do with Fairness. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

18 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

With all due respect to you,I  disagree with your assessment. 

Taking into account  that the New Jersey Wild Turkey Population is estimated at just 23,000 . What,I layed out if,I  was King for a Day would be to put a reasonable and very generous  Cap on 5 Spring Gobblers max for any 1 Spring Turkey Hunter. 

When you write that- " Every One Of Us Has The Same Chances"-- that is not entirely  accurate. 

As,I  wrote in my above post. But this time say 20 Spring Turkey Hunters Statewide take a Gobbler on their Private Land and then take Gobbler #2 on Public Land on Day 2 of " A Week". And on that day #2 there were 20 Spring Turkey Hunters nearby. And all of them with less then 4 Springs under their belt.

Do you think these much less experienced  Spring Turkey Hunters have the same chance?

It has nothing to do with- " he shot my Turkey " Syndrome.  It has to do with Fairness. 

You have to really forget about the numbers of turkeys in the state and how hard or easy it is to get one. We have a quota, based on the population count for each individual zone so unless you can prove to me we kill more than the population allows we should forget this argument form a logical point of view. 
The less experienced hunter will never had the same chance as the experienced hunter but that's hunting and the necessrsay  steps of learning we all go through.  I am fine with it, you are not, and that's ok.

Edited by Lunatic

14 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Cap on 5 Spring Gobblers max for any 1 Spring Turkey Hunter. 

Ok so a hunter gets and pays for 10 permits.  His first 5 permits get used on successful hunts. What happens to the 5 permits that he cant use?

Does he get refunds for 5 permits?  And those 5 permits go back to the State and available over the counter again?   Only to those who haven't bagged a bird? Or to anyone who hasn't gotten 5?  If the permits do not become available again then the less experienced hunter is still screwed.

What you are saying isn't possible.  

51 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

Yes, but we don’t kill anywhere near t27,000 turkeys and that is factored into the numbers of permits available