super finicky shotgun

1 hour ago, njdoxie said:

Thanks for all the input...just to be clear, I could live with 3 in groups, but the vast POI change over short periods of time has me worried.  

I thought I bumped the scope a few weeks back, so took it to the range and it was shooting 3 feet high at 100 yards.  I would never have checked my rifles after a minor bump, but the shotgun has given me reason to.

And I've seen POI changes with no scope bumping, over short periods of time, that has me concerned.

It's going to the gunsmith SOON.  If it doesn't behave after that, then I'm getting a 20 ga bolt action savage.

I have a Nikon slugmaster scope.....I'm thinking something is not right with the scope and/or mount.

Get a boresighter and mark your points once its sighted in. The next season, take it out and check your points before wasting ammo

1. Keep it simple. 

2. Start at 25 yards. Baby steps. 

3. Get the best scope rings you can. Shotguns are bully's to scopes and rings. 

4. Hold the gun tight when firing. Rifle bullets leave the barrel twice as fast as a shotgun slug. That means that slug is in the barrel twice as long. If gun isn't held tightly, the barrel can jump and the slug will not go where you want it to. It happens. Trust me.  

We need to push the Division and the Fish & Game Council toward adopting straight walled cartridges like so many densely populated states now allow including Ohio, Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, etc. and do away with muzzleloaders and slug guns over time.  Better accuracy and less recoil (for shotguns) will mean less wounded animals.  Newer cartridges like Winchester's 350 Legend are where we need to be and not constantly dealing with finicky slug guns that knock the crap out of shoulders which often makes inexperienced shooters flinch, further causing wounded animals. 

That said, I shoot an older 870 in 12 ga. with a Remington cantilever barrel and it loves Hornady SSTs.  It used to love Remington Copper Solids until they changed that round, and then I couldn't get it to shoot nearly as well at 100 yards.  The SSTs shoot under 2" at 100 yards, and I'll take that all day with a slug gun.  Most of my shots are well under that anyway and I killed a bear at a measured 128 yards with that setup several years back now.    

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

We need to push the Division and the Fish & Game Council toward adopting straight walled cartridges like so many densely populated states now allow including Ohio, Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, etc. and do away with muzzleloaders and slug guns over time.  Better accuracy and less recoil (for shotguns) will mean less wounded animals.  Newer cartridges like Winchester's 350 Legend are where we need to be and not constantly dealing with finicky slug guns that knock the crap out of shoulders which often makes inexperienced shooters flinch, further causing wounded animals. 

That said, I shoot an older 870 in 12 ga. with a Remington cantilever barrel and it loves Hornady SSTs.  It used to love Remington Copper Solids until they changed that round, and then I couldn't get it to shoot nearly as well at 100 yards.  The SSTs shoot under 2" at 100 yards, and I'll take that all day with a slug gun.  Most of my shots are well under that anyway and I killed a bear at a measured 128 yards with that setup several years back now.    

Do way with M/L and Slug Guns? So we all would have to buy new guns? I don't think you will get much support for that. 

Someone once told me to make sure you crank the nut that holds the barrel on very tight when shooting a rifled slug barrel on a pump shotgun.  It makes sense when you look at how the barrel is fastened.   Even though the sights or scope base is solidly mounted on the barrel, I also believe because the barrel is not as solidly fixed to the action like a rifle, this contributes to less accuracy with pump guns. 

6 hours ago, archer36 said:

Do way with M/L and Slug Guns? So we all would have to buy new guns? I don't think you will get much support for that. 

Never said do away with. But many here would buy a new rifle and retire their muzzy and slug guns. I know I would.  But no mandates to stop using slug guns or muzzleloaders. 

6 hours ago, archer36 said:

I reread my initial post and see how that could be misinterpreted. By “doing away with over time” I didn’t mean by regulations but rather because hunters will gravitate to the better weapon over time. If you love your muzzy or slug gun, go right ahead and shoot them. 

Edited by Bucksnbows
Spelling