IGNORED

Best Shrubs for Whitetails

Mink

I've been managing my 30 acres in Pa. for wildlife . I've planted Sawtooth Oaks,Chestnuts, Apple, Crab Apple etc. I thinking about starting some shrubs . What are you're three favorite shrubs for wildlife?

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

5 minutes ago, Mink said:

I do have some Autumn Olive but honestly the deer don't brows on it much. I have a small patch of the Cave in Rock and love it, just whish it was easier to establish.

it's a cover not a food source for deer.  I would love to see all Autumn olives  REMOVED from all states - highly invasive.   The olives do feed the bears and some birds...       If you want a shrub that feeds the deer - well they love any soft needled pines in winter, arborvitae, etc.   Junipers and Cedars only as the last resort when there is not a thing left to eat.  

Problem with planting shrubs they love to eat in winter - they do not regenerate well after deer browse them down and remove all the green.    Pretty much kills them.    I cannot think of a landscaping type of shrub, that should be planted on purpose, for food.  Would be cheaper to buy and dump corn and other bagged food.  

If you want the "best" all time deer cover - My vote is the American Red Cedar.    Relatively fast growing in sunlight, and where they are thick, quite possibly the best deer bedding cover that exists 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Shrubs will cost a small fortune and will be eaten to death.  Get some weeds!  The seeds are cheap and the plants last forever!

Chickweed contains vitamins A, D, B complex, C, rutin (a bioflavinoid), calcium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, sodium, copper, iron and silica.

Ragweed is loaded with protein, fat and other goodies.  I think it's about 50% protein and 40% fat.

Greenbriar is loaded with protein and minerals.

Dandelion Is loaded with goodies for deer

Nettles are about 40% protein and has a decent amount of fat and other vitamins and minerals

Greenbrier will draw them in the winter.  They mow down the stinging nettle in my area.  They must be getting high on the chemical that makes us itch.  Seen where they devour pokeweed too. Evergreens will get browsed to death on the bottom until they are worthless unless you cut the tops off for them in the winter.  other shrubs like holly will get eaten down and not recover.  Deer like hostas, and they will grow back every year.

3 hours ago, tpr1921 said:

If it is already on or near your property the invasive Autumn Olive is hands down my favorite deer habitat shrub. I then jump to  Cave in Rock Switch Grass though not a shrub.   

Gota be careful with that autumn olive....it will take over if not managed carefully....my pals property in WV is engulfed in it....great for bedding but chokes out other browse

Although it’s not a shrub, honeysuckle always seems to be browsed where ever I see it....maybe enhance edge areas w honeysuckle

8 hours ago, nickmarch said:

Shrubs will cost a small fortune and will be eaten to death.  Get some weeds!  The seeds are cheap and the plants last forever!

Chickweed contains vitamins A, D, B complex, C, rutin (a bioflavinoid), calcium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, sodium, copper, iron and silica.

Ragweed is loaded with protein, fat and other goodies.  I think it's about 50% protein and 40% fat.

Greenbriar is loaded with protein and minerals.

Dandelion Is loaded with goodies for deer

Nettles are about 40% protein and has a decent amount of fat and other vitamins and minerals

For weeds all I have to do is drop my disc in the dirt. 

Weeds arent bad. I spend hours and hours a year planting food plots to watch deer stand in them and eat weeds next to a lush soybean plant. 

www.liftxrentals.com

7 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Although it’s not a shrub, honeysuckle always seems to be browsed where ever I see it....maybe enhance edge areas w honeysuckle

I have lots of honeysuckle on my place. It is some viny stuff and the deer eat it year round especially when all the other local food sources dry up and or some snow on the ground. 

It chokes the hell out of everything in its path. 

It grows real nice on a fence line but it wants to take over. 

www.liftxrentals.com

9 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Gota be careful with that autumn olive....it will take over if not managed carefully....my pals property in WV is engulfed in it....great for bedding but chokes out other browse

I agree that Autumn Olive, as a bedding/cover source, has to be managed to keep it under control but so does any habitat enhancement project put in place.  All of my habitat work  is tweaked every year as I am in it for the long haul. And I love and promote honeysuckle growth on my property as it is a fantastic winter food source.

There use to be a program through the state where as if you owned a certain amount of acreage you could purchase evergreens for cheap 12-20 cents a piece and they were / came bare root and some were 12" tall .......white pines, black pines, spruce.......not  sure if they still do it........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

11 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

There use to be a program through the state where as if you owned a certain amount of acreage you could purchase evergreens for cheap 12-20 cents a piece and they were / came bare root and some were 12" tall .......white pines, black pines, spruce.......not  sure if they still do it........

nurserycatalog (3).pdf