IGNORED

Dehydrator for jerky recommendations

Tuck

I have the excalibur and it's been great.  Not sure the model# but it was their most trays back then.  Think they added a couple more since then.  Dries evenly circulating from the back.  Don't have to rotate trays and trays still wash up easily after around 10 years of use.  Heat temp and Timer working great.  Also came with sheets to make fruit roll ups

Edited by Greybeard

22 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

What’s the difference? I have a bottom to top one and it works fine.

I found that the meat on the bottom tray blocked the circulation and if I didn't rotate the racks, the bottom got too dried out and the top was raw.  I found that the back-blower models dried each tray evenly, so once I found the optimum dry time, I could just walk away.

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Had the invoice sitting here in front of me.  Bought the 9 tray excalibur 3926 in 2006. Think they have 11 trays now.  Sale for $249  Keeps on ticking .

Might be time to file that receipt away:rofl:.  Thanks for the help.  Just hit send on my order.  If you have any tips please send them my way.

1 minute ago, Kype said:

damn you @Tuck lol. im making jerky right now except im using my oven.:down: 

now ill be looking around the internet for a dehydrator. 

Sorry, but here you go!!!  Under $200 for the no timer one.  I will spend $5 and but my own kitchen timer to use.  Reviews and research have been very good on this model.

https://excaliburdehydrator.com/pages/dehydrators#9tray

41 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Sorry, but here you go!!!  Under $200 for the no timer one.  I will spend $5 and but my own kitchen timer to use.  Reviews and research have been very good on this model.

https://excaliburdehydrator.com/pages/dehydrators#9tray

I would spend the extra for the timer.  it also shuts itself off when time is up.  That way you don't have to be there to shut it off when it's done.  A timer in the socket that is used to turn lights on and off may be a better idea than a kitchen timer

I no longer have a slicer, so my slices aren't the exact same thickness.  I like to keep them on the thicker side 3/8-1/4" and dry them longer, or they can get brittle like overdone bacon.  Sometimes they aren't all dry when I have to leave or can't stay up another 2 hours to turn it off.  Temp at 150 and I'll start checking them after 9 hours and some may go 12 hrs or longer.

Edited by Greybeard