IGNORED

Cuddelink system - Pros/Cons?

MS22

Does anyone on here use the cuddelink system on their property? Is the system worth it? Pros/cons? Is there a comparable non-cell cam network from another manufacturer that’s better? 

We are looking to install something like this on property upstate NY that receives little cell service across the most of the property. Our hope is to limit intrusion into sensitive areas while keeping tabs on the local herd. 

Any info/advice is appreciated. 

I've been running the cuddelink system for 4 years now. First with just the home cam with SD card review than onto two versions of cuddecell technology. I generally run between 15 to 16 cameras. I have the home/cell camera near the house so it is easy to maintain. The latest version takes six D cells and I run an 8 cell extender. I recently purchased a few cudde solar units to try after the season. Battery life varies on distance from the home unit, location(strength of signal), and of course the amount of pics and frequency transmitted. I have mine set to transmit every hour. You will have to own stock in Duracell if you run a bunch. I run some older G-23 and J-2 which are AA(12) powered. The newer K-23 and J-3 are D(4) powered. I prefer the D cell powered units. I also run Spartan cell cams in areas where I want instant cell feedback.

I have been using the cuddelink since they came out. They have made alot of changes along the way. The new cameras are going to run on 4 d batteries so if buying buy those. I have 1 G camera, 1 K camera and 9 J cameras. The solar only works well if it gets full sun all day long, like a field. What is not on solar, I have the dual battery packs that holds 12 D cells. My cameras run for over 200 days without needing a change. The solars have been going for years. Make sure you get good cell service at one location or the cell plan wont pan out for you. I have my cameras on my farm in KY and live in NJ. I would do it again especially now that Cuddeback got out many of the bugs. There is a site called All things habitat that has a wealth of information on the cuddebacks, maybe look there.

I was wondering myself how well they work but I am very reluctant to purchase another one of their cameras. I have had a few Cuddebacks in the past. 

I had nothing but problems with them specifically the Attacks and Ambush. 

I tossed them all. The customer service was horrible. 

Hopefully they made some improvements. 

The amount of D batteries needed definitely sounds like it will cost you a small fortune to run. 

www.liftxrentals.com

14 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

I was wondering myself how well they work but I am very reluctant to purchase another one of their cameras. I have had a few Cuddebacks in the past. 

I had nothing but problems with them specifically the Attacks and Ambush. 

I tossed them all. The customer service was horrible. 

Hopefully they made some improvements. 

The amount of D batteries needed definitely sounds like it will cost you a small fortune to run. 

The Attacks and Ambush were cheap crap. I've had very good service out of my Cuddes over the years. You can send non-working cams to them for credit towards new units. The new cams are 4 D cells. It changes the profile depth but the trade off is worth it. The home cam lasts most of the year with the extender.

I currently have 8. I have them set up on two pieces of property. 4 cameras on each. The main cell camera takes great pictures but the smaller j units do not take that good pf a picture. Also the main unit runs on 6 d's and lasts 6 months. The smaller ones are 12 aa's and last about 2 months tops. No complaint though. I pay $150 per 4 cell cams for the year for 1000 pics shared a month. If it goes over a thousand then $5 more for 2000 more pics. So around $320 or so for the year. You can add up to 16 cameras to one cell cam so if you have a big property it helps. I also use the spypoint cell link and was paying $60 a month for unlimited pics for 4 cameras. So the long term plan was worth it. 

Great info guys. If we went the cellular route, the hard and expensive part would be stringing enough cams together to get to the portion of the property that actually gets service. 

How far apart can you place the cams where they are still connecting with one another and sharing photos in a heavily wooded area?  

27 minutes ago, MS22 said:

Great info guys. If we went the cellular route, the hard and expensive part would be stringing enough cams together to get to the portion of the property that actually gets service. 

How far apart can you place the cams where they are still connecting with one another and sharing photos in a heavily wooded area?  

Depends on the terrain and obstacles. You could use cameras as repeaters to extend your range between cameras. Check out some set-up videos. 

https://youtu.be/sN6X_UXNeu4

Good luck Mike!  Sounds like you're getting some great feedback.  I've never used the cuddeback system but sounds pretty good aside from battery needs.  Look into 12V solutions for the cams as they'll last a long time out there.  Also some guys using other cellular solutions are using dual antennas or custom/bigger ones to get reception :up: