IGNORED

How are the clubs doing this week?

Bonefreak

Talked a pal from a club in Whiting and they only had 1 down as of yesterday 

any Ozarks or Fin Fur n Feather reports?

weather been good for em all week

seems like membership in the big driving clubs been spiraling down over the years

as kids my dad would drive us by clubs throughout the pines to see what was hanging on the meat pole

When I was a kid in the 1950s and 60s, the outdoor writer for the Trentonian newspaper would take a tour of the South Jersey clubs during deer week  every year and report on the number of deer each club bagged. I always looked forward to those reports. Sometimes there were even pictures of bagged deer. Times were way different then.  Does the Trentonian still exist and does it even have an outdoor writer?  I have not seen a copy of that newspaper in years. The way times are now with all the anti-hunters, I think the deer hunting reports ended many years ago.  

4 hours ago, OldPiney Woods said:

When I was a kid in the 1950s and 60s, the outdoor writer for the Trentonian newspaper would take a tour of the South Jersey clubs during deer week  every year and report on the number of deer each club bagged. I always looked forward to those reports. Sometimes there were even pictures of bagged deer. Times were way different then.  Does the Trentonian still exist and does it even have an outdoor writer?  I have not seen a copy of that newspaper in years. The way times are now with all the anti-hunters, I think the deer hunting reports ended many years ago.  

Said ain't it. I grew up in Taylor Ham country.

UNION, N.J. (AP) _ Howard Brant, an outdoor columnist for The Star-Ledger in Newark for 34 years, died Saturday. He was 74. The cause of death was not immediately known.

His last column appeared in Sunday’s newspaper and recounted the results from the National Rifle and Pistol matches in Ohio. Brant himself was a state champion skeet shooter.

In the 1950s and 1960s, Brant worked selling and buying goods for Bamberger’s department store in Newark. In 1967, he began writing for The Star-Ledger about freshwater fishing after the store stopped selling guns and cut back on other outdoor goods.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

51 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

UNION, N.J. (AP) _ Howard Brant, an outdoor columnist for The Star-Ledger in Newark for 34 years, died Saturday. He was 74. The cause of death was not immediately known.

His last column appeared in Sunday’s newspaper and recounted the results from the National Rifle and Pistol matches in Ohio. Brant himself was a state champion skeet shooter.

In the 1950s and 1960s, Brant worked selling and buying goods for Bamberger’s department store in Newark. In 1967, he began writing for The Star-Ledger about freshwater fishing after the store stopped selling guns and cut back on other outdoor goods.

Ugh, I was born about 40 years too late. I’m 34, just had a sliver of the old days with my dad as a kid. Wish I could still drive by effingers and see the deer hanging after opening day. We’ve lost so much tradition, break my heart. 

6 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

As a kid in the 70's, 80's i couldn't wait for star ledger outdoor column written by Mr Brant. I was no road scholar in school. But would love reading his articles. 

Also the guy from the Home News , Rick something I forgot his last name, but always looked forward reading those columns 

11 hours ago, OldPiney Woods said:

The trentonian is garbage. No outdoor writer. Herb Blackwell was who you referred to. He posted twice about gun club totals. On friday and agsin following week with final totals. Also listed any big bucks a club had hanging.  They were the good old days that will never happen again.

I used to enjoy reading his column as a kid.  My parents lived in Newark when they were first married, as did my grandparents when they came over from Ireland.  My father bought a shotgun from Bambergers in Newark when he was young.  I still have the receipt.  Can you imagine buying guns in Bambergers in Newark?  

Time have sure change!  

13 hours ago, OldPiney Woods said:

They were good times back then. People were less likely to tell others how they should live their lives. Now they know what is good for you better than you do.

1 hour ago, 2 Brits said:

I used to enjoy reading his column as a kid.  My parents lived in Newark when they were first married, as did my grandparents when they came over from Ireland.  My father bought a shotgun from Bambergers in Newark when he was young.  I still have the receipt.  Can you imagine buying guns in Bambergers in Newark?  

Time have sure change!  

Yes, I believe it. My Dad and Uncle bought their Beretta Shotguns in Bambergers. My Uncle an O/U Silver Snipe and my Dad a S/S Silver Hawk. They came from Italy and lived in Newark.