Squirrel Dish

After all these years I finally decided to try squirrel. I have always read how it can be pretty tasty.  I fried a nice fat corn fed squirrel along with some pheasant yesterday and it was excellent. I could not believe how tender the meat was after a long brine. I’m going to be doing fried squirrel tossed in Buffalo sauce next.

I brined for a few days. Soaked in heavy cream over night because I could not find buttermilk. Dredge in a flour, garlic powder and onion powder mix. Fried in leftover peanut oil from the  thanksgiving bird I fried. 

I did the pheasant the same way but cut into strips to Make tenders. I also saved the legs and fried those whole as well. Came out great. 

9941614F-107A-4E94-83EB-F321593DDBA4.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Mallard1100 said:

After all these years I finally decided to try squirrel. I have always read how it can be pretty tasty.  I fried a nice fat corn fed squirrel along with some pheasant yesterday and it was excellent. I could not believe how tender the meat was after a long brine. I’m going to be doing fried squirrel tossed in Buffalo sauce next.

I brined for a few days. Soaked in heavy cream over night because I could not find buttermilk. Dredge in a flour, garlic powder and onion powder mix. Fried in leftover peanut oil from the  thanksgiving bird I fried. 

I did the pheasant the same way but cut into strips to Make tenders. I also saved the legs and fried those whole as well. Came out great. 

9941614F-107A-4E94-83EB-F321593DDBA4.jpeg

That's my granddaughter looking forward to hunting with her.

I love squirrel, my family always cooked it this way....roll it in flour, brown it real good, then simmer for 2-3 hours, comes out delish and super tender.

I've debated getting back into squirrel hunting, but they're a pain to clean, plus I'd need to buy an air rifle.

Edited by njdoxie

That sounds delicous with the leftover peanut oil. I like having them on hand when i kill only a couple chukar or quail. Because they make up an entire meal for the night of the hunt and a few combo meals after . I bread them and fry them a lot like when i get panfish through the ice just mix it all together in crumbs and chow down. 

16 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I've yet to get squirrel cooked to my liking... I could never get it tender enough. I use squirrel meat for crab bait now - works awesome (at least the crabs like squirrel :))

You probably aren't cooking them long enough, it really doesn't take that long. If you want to fry them, simmer them about 45 minutes first, then dip in flour & pan fry. If you want to braise them, 1 1/2 hours in a 350 oven should be good. They have a mild, slightly nutty taste (a buddy in Texas says they taste like pecans, so I guess it depends on what they are eating). In a way they remind me of eating crabs, a lot of picking to get at a few mouthfuls of meat.

Save the mergansers, crows, & brants for crab bait. :rofl:

Edited by Stan Putz