Your "Best" Missed Shot

SoxFan

In 2004 late bow season, I had these four big bucks under my stand in a quick notice.  One of them was a 4y/o 135” 8pt that I was trying to kill all season.  Instead of letting this buck walk away a bit for a better shot and angle, I decided to shoot him almost directly under my stand (I was in a climbing stand with a full rail).  I figured there was no way in the world I would mess this up, wrong!  I pulled back the bow, took aim and released.  The loudest metal sound erupted with deer running in every direction confused.  My arrow missed its mark by about 3ft.   Something didn’t feel right with my bow and then realized that when I shot, my bottom limb and cam violently struck the rail of my treestand.  It bent the cam and derailed the string.  My target buck walked back by me moments later now with an easy 20yd broadside shot as I sat and watched with my broken bow.  That was the last time I seen him until 2006.  Where he his for all this time only God knows.  Early 2006 he started to show himself in the same woods.  I recognized his rack immediately but now about 20” bigger.  One afternoon hunting out of the same tree I missed this buck in 2 years prior, he made an appearance.  I was never going to let that mistake happen again.  I waited for the perfect shot angle and stuck him perfectly.  He ran 50 yards out and collapsed.  I started to think back how pissed I was when I missed him in 2004 but now killing him in 2006 realizing I just took my biggest 8pt ever scoring 155” (still my biggest 8pt today!).  That’s my best “miss”!

7691C928-4C53-4B94-94D8-00C04D035CAF.jpeg

My funny miss, I had my share, was when I shot at the same doe 3 times and missed 3 times. Turned out I broke my first pin on my bow sight so I kept aiming at the doe right in front of me with a wrong pin. She jumped and moved further and again I aimed with the wrong pin for the total of 3 times at which time she had enough. I was left in a tree clueless of what happened and only the next day, trying to sight my bow in my back yard, I discovered the problem after sending one of my arrows over the target and into the lake.

14 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

In 2004 late bow season, I had these four big bucks under my stand in a quick notice.  One of them was a 4y/o 135” 8pt that I was trying to kill all season.  Instead of letting this buck walk away a bit for a better shot and angle, I decided to shoot him almost directly under my stand (I was in a climbing stand with a full rail).  I figured there was no way in the world I would mess this up, wrong!  I pulled back the bow, took aim and released.  The loudest metal sound erupted with deer running in every direction confused.  My arrow missed its mark by about 3ft.   Something didn’t feel right with my bow and then realized that when I shot, my bottom limb and cam violently struck the rail of my treestand.  It bent the cam and derailed the string.  My target buck walked back by me moments later now with an easy 20yd broadside shot as I sat and watched with my broken bow.  That was the last time I seen him until 2006.  Where he his for all this time only God knows.  Early 2006 he started to show himself in the same woods.  I recognized his rack immediately but now about 20” bigger.  One afternoon hunting out of the same tree I missed this buck in 2 years prior, he made an appearance.  I was never going to let that mistake happen again.  I waited for the perfect shot angle and stuck him perfectly.  He ran 50 yards out and collapsed.  I started to think back how pissed I was when I missed him in 2004 but now killing him in 2006 realizing I just took my biggest 8pt ever scoring 155” (still my biggest 8pt today!).  That’s my best “miss”!

7691C928-4C53-4B94-94D8-00C04D035CAF.jpeg

all well that ends well, great buck
In reality all mistakes are just another step of getting better. I have a very long list:-)

In 2018, I rattled in a nice, big (probably 3.5 year old) 5 point on public from across an ag field. I decided to pass on him and started second-guessing myself. 15 minutes later, a tall-tined shooter starts making his way behind me. All of a sudden he stops dead in his tracks as if he knew something wasn’t right. He starts circling down wind of me at 25 yards so I draw at the first chance I get. He stops perfectly broadside, I settled the pin and let one fly. To this day, I have no idea how/why my arrow flew the way it did but I missed by a good 6-8 yards in front of him. Pretty sure there wasn’t a deflection - never found the arrow (wanted to check if a fletching was missing), but I went back to the truck, shot at an old stump and the bow was shooting fine. Buck fever has hit me before, but I was convinced I was calm. I sold the bow that year and last year on Election Day, I killed the same buck out of the same stand at 3:30pm. A nice, tall-tined 8 point on public.

1AE7D078-62F4-4AB5-AF22-821F63EC2DAA.jpeg

I missed a Bull Moose in Newfoundland on my second day of the hunt. Two identical sized bulls, walking across an open cutover. A 100 yd shot. The Guide watched through binos. He said "it's a hit", I didn't bother shooting again. Never found the Moose or blood. To this day, I don't know how I missed. Checked the gun next day and it was on. 

In 2015 I was on my hunt of a lifetime for a Dall sheep in Alaska.  After a year of climbing local hills with an 80 lb pack, weekly shooting at the range I though I was prepared.  
First day of hunting and after climbing one mountain we spot 4 rams with one legal one on the other side of the valley. Three hours later I was 410 yards away getting ready to shoot.  Between the guide going back and forth on when to shoot, the gravel sliding under me, windier conditions up hill and “ram fever “ I misses twice and then a third time at 220 yds where I kissed my scope with my forehead. I thought I had just blown my only chance.  
With my and the guides confidence in me not very high  we went back to camp.  Once back my guide was amazed to see the 4 rams feeding down hill towards the camp. Next morning bright and early I closed the deal on the ram at 240 yds with one shot. Packing out with a 100lb pack was one of the happiest moments of hunting. 

B15CC00C-858C-496B-996C-4360F5145D1C.jpeg

2 hours ago, hvnj said:

In 2015 I was on my hunt of a lifetime for a Dall sheep in Alaska.  After a year of climbing local hills with an 80 lb pack, weekly shooting at the range I though I was prepared.  
First day of hunting and after climbing one mountain we spot 4 rams with one legal one on the other side of the valley. Three hours later I was 410 yards away getting ready to shoot.  Between the guide going back and forth on when to shoot, the gravel sliding under me, windier conditions up hill and “ram fever “ I misses twice and then a third time at 220 yds where I kissed my scope with my forehead. I thought I had just blown my only chance.  
With my and the guides confidence in me not very high  we went back to camp.  Once back my guide was amazed to see the 4 rams feeding down hill towards the camp. Next morning bright and early I closed the deal on the ram at 240 yds with one shot. Packing out with a 100lb pack was one of the happiest moments of hunting. 

B15CC00C-858C-496B-996C-4360F5145D1C.jpeg

That’s a beauty!!!

My first buck I had clamp-on iron sights on a ventilated rib and used Remington standard rifled slugs. A 5 point comes along at about 35 yrds, I fire broadside at the chest. The deer walks behind a big oak and stops. Can't see the chest. I was so confident that he was going to drop any minute that I just waited what seemed like minutes even though I had a nice shot at the neck. It was a Winchester semi auto and my hunting brain finally said - you idiot shoot again! So I did and the deer dropped. I practically flew over to that deer. Only one hole in the neck! How did I miss at 35 yrds broad side on the chest but hit the neck on the second shot? Lesson learned - shoot until down. 

This bear opener i was up on a big rock that was covered in brush witch i cut out and had a neat little spot with my bait about 20 yards down and out of me . The spot is set up for archery , but since I Didn't really go I  hunted with the gun .Well a nice 275 lber came in . Problem was he was ten yards ....well shot right under him with him being so close the slug never had a chance to rise..My buddy filmed it on his phone . We slowed it down on the computer and you can see the slug go right under him..   Bummer .

Yesterday afternoon what would of been my best buck ever. Had a hang fire. I pulled the trigger and the primer went off but not the load causing a second or so delay a I pulled it bad then deer just looked around put his head back down and by the time I got reloaded he stepped in front of some cattails and that was the end of the hunt. 20 years ago I would of raped that gun around a tree yesterday I just chuckled a little. It not over yet

33 minutes ago, smittty said:

Yesterday afternoon what would of been my best buck ever. Had a hang fire. I pulled the trigger and the primer went off but not the load causing a second or so delay a I pulled it bad then deer just looked around put his head back down and by the time I got reloaded he stepped in front of some cattails and that was the end of the hunt. 20 years ago I would of raped that gun around a tree yesterday I just chuckled a little. It not over yet

I missed a lot of deer when I was younger but I never raped my gun afterwards:shock:

Edited by bucky

On 12/11/2020 at 6:51 AM, MGHunter66 said:

Well it wasn’t a complete miss. At 12 years old I was lucky enough to get a shot at a monster buck. Everything was perfect, the arrow released and flew true hitting the buck in the rack... I swear I wasn’t looking at the rack just before i shot :lookaround:

I did the same thing many years ago on a 8 pointer at 5 yards, after hitting him in the antlers he ran, stopped at 30 yards and stood there like wtf was that, luckily the next arrow put him to sleep