IGNORED

Colliers Mills giant corn harvested.....math scholars assistance needed

Was out Christmas tree huntin w family today and saw that the farmer who leases the only fertile soil on the Colliers Mills WMA tract was harvesting the giant corn field off Hawkins Rd 

it’s the latest in the season that I have seen the field harvested and the wildlife has had an extra few weeks of food

but as every other year I post about this, the giant area of the only good soil at Colliers Mills will be a barren wasteland by tomorrow because the farmer harvests every last stalk of corn

yes the state orders him to do “in kind” services such as mowing or planting sorghum in the sand under the power lines that never grows, but license buyers again get screwed and get the short end of the stick with that area of the WMA

the state should go back to the rule of the farmer leaving 10% of the crop for wildlife, at least for that area of this particular  WMA, as the rest of it is sandy soil, pine needles, & dawg crap

D959BBD9-58DF-479B-A7A3-CE4EB6B4FCEA.jpeg

5568464E-63E6-4CCC-9FA3-AAC5B7DD01DA.jpeg

9960FEA1-BDB6-4859-93A4-E0788DD80493.jpeg

Edited by Bonefreak

• Bonefreak changed the title to Colliers Mills giant corn harvested.....math scholars assistance needed

Just trying to figure out how much this corn crop on the WMA is worth

video says 1 acre of corn could be worth as much as $1000/acre

if my math was right, the approximate area of this WMA field is 84 acres.....so farmer could be making $84,000 bucks off this WMA field??!!

BC50C2DB-439A-44FE-929C-CA1494A83093.png

4 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Just trying to figure out how much this corn crop on the WMA is worth

video says 1 acre of corn could be worth as much as $1000/acre

if my math was right, the approximate area of this WMA field is 84 acres.....so farmer could be making $84,000 bucks off this WMA field??!!

BC50C2DB-439A-44FE-929C-CA1494A83093.png

Nope, your math is off. In its October Crop Production and Supply/Demand Reports, the USDA pegged the U.S. corn yield at 168.4 bushels per acre .The price shown is in U.S. Dollars per bushel. The current price of corn as of December 07, 2020 is $4.2400 per bushel.  The tally would be $59,977.

40 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Nope, your math is off. In its October Crop Production and Supply/Demand Reports, the USDA pegged the U.S. corn yield at 168.4 bushels per acre .The price shown is in U.S. Dollars per bushel. The current price of corn as of December 07, 2020 is $4.2400 per bushel.  The tally would be $59,977.

Gotchya. Just looking for ballpark #s

I have seen some of these WMA leases going for big money....$20k-$50k....but for 4 year leases....so the first year pays for the lease....and next 3 years are profit....@ the above # that’s $180k for the remaining 3 yrs of the lease

Wonder why  Fish and Wildlife would not just hire a farmer to farm or at least supervise Fish n Wildlife land management crews for our license buyers property?  There’s got to be a better business model that benefits wildlife and license buyers than this current system. 

If you want to complain to someone this is the guy.   He is in charge of the land at the WMA's and the stocking program.   I complain to him every year.  The best property gets leased to for crops and instead of being used for Hunting as it is intended.   I told him that they should farm all of the safety zones.   It might be inconvenient for the farmer but it's best for the wildlife and hunters.

I think the leases are five years, but I could be wrong.

David M. Golden, Assistant Director

NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife

PO Box 420

Trenton, NJ 08625

(609) 358-2072

david.golden@dep.nj.gov

The farmer where I hunt just cuts the corn and there is no reason to plant anything because the roots are left to prevent soil erosion and weeds grow in very quickly. Also I see deer in it for weeks after harvest, looking and getting left behind corn and munching on weed.
Maybe getting some lease money form the farmer is not a bad thing. better than getting it from us

Most farmers earn a good living. I’m not going to argue that but they aren’t getting filthy rich off it. They have tremendously high overhead. The hundreds of thousands of dollars in machinery they need to own and maintain to plant, maintain then harvest all that isn’t going to pay for it’s self. Not to mention initially paying for seed, paying for fertilizer and pesticide. Plus diesel. Then they have to pay to build grain bins. Then pay for massive electric bills and gas bills to run the dryers. If being a farmer was worth as much as you’re thinking it does then guys would be bidding way higher on those properties 

20 minutes ago, Bird-dog1 said:

If you want to complain to someone this is the guy.   He is in charge of the land at the WMA's and the stocking program.   I complain to him every year.  The best property gets leased to for crops and instead of being used for Hunting as it is intended.   I told him that they should farm all of the safety zones.   It might be inconvenient for the farmer but it's best for the wildlife and hunters.

I think the leases are five years, but I could be wrong.

David M. Golden, Assistant Director

NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife

PO Box 420

Trenton, NJ 08625

(609) 358-2072

david.golden@dep.nj.gov

Dave is now the Director of Fish and Wildlife. He’s the big boss. You want the Southern Lands Management Supervisor. I know Susan Predl is the North region, but don’t know her counterpart to the south. Those are the people in charge on the ground. If they bring Dave and the Council their concerns, things will likely change for the better. I’ve worked very well w Sue here in the North on a myriad of WMA issues.