IGNORED

Let Him Walk or Take the Shot - that is the question

I love hearing the stories and seeing the harvests, but there's always the comment hunters make that i find so intriguing - "I've let bucks walk before" . Now upon reading that you may have taken every shot you've seen but my question for this thread is to what makes you consider letting them walk if you have? Is it too high a risk a shot? is it too far? is it 'just because'?  Presently at one of my stands my friend got an 8 pointer the other day but they also saw a spike in the area. I asked him if we see the spike Monday do we take him? Be nice to let him grow a rack. He brought up a great argument - hunters in NJ don't think that way. Someone else will get him, especially on public land.  Just wanted to hear some chatter on this. 

I do have standards.    I generally do not start looking at bucks until age 3.5, and most if not all will get a pass at that age because it's the next two years they will usually and I say "usually" blow up and hit their fullest potential.     Bucks, like wine are a renewable resource and why uncork a  great Red Zin with potential at 1.5 years, if you know it will be best at age 4.5 or 5.5.    

I have seen exceptions to this of course - 2019 I took a velvet 10 I thought was 5.5 turns out he was aged officially at 6.5.   His best set of antlers was in 2017 at age 4.5, the first year he went from 8 to 10 points.   He was just a little smaller 2018 and a little smaller 2019.  Still was cool to take an old ghost in full velvet long after his posse was hard horned.   That is an exception though. 

This year - I first passed on a stud 9 point with insane brow tines, because everything about his body suggested he was 3.5 and I figured the upside was just too great.   Well things changed, when I saw him 2 weeks later and he got my blood really pumping and decided to shoot.    No buck shaming here - it was my choice and he got to pass on those genes.  I am getting him aged to see "how young" he is vs how old - who knows I may be surprised, but still going with 3.5. 

The ultimate was also last year when I took a veteran's day gigantic 10 I had NO CLUE or history with...  Some bucks especially with no prior history, when they have that holy ###t factor - you do not question. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Its a personal choice and I unfortunately have had very little opportunity to hunt private lands in NJ , therefore I'm from the school of if its safe and legal its down unless..... we've taken a few. When I only hunt 15-20 days a season and enjoy eating  what I shoot I don't let an opportunity slide. I really don't have time to be a sportsmen especially if I want to fill my freezer. Once the freezers content I may be more discriminatory but I haven't had that issue in a long time especially with a family that enjoys fresh venison.  To each their own, i don't judge i actually give guys a lot of credit that go through the ritual day after day and are able to see animals and don't shoot. I had a friend that hunted with me years ago that was very picky and only till the last week would he shoot doe to obtain some meat, his family didn't like it and it was only for jerky or sausage. 

26 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I do have standards.    I generally do not start looking at bucks until age 3.5, and most if not all will get a pass at that age because it's the next two years they will usually and I say "usually" blow up and hit their fullest potential.     Bucks, like wine are a renewable resource and why uncork a  great Red Zin with potential at 1.5 years, if you know it will be best at age 4.5 or 5.5.    

I have seen exceptions to this of course - 2019 I took a velvet 10 I thought was 5.5 turns out he was aged officially at 6.5.   His best set of antlers was in 2017 at age 4.5, the first year he went from 8 to 10 points.   He was just a little smaller 2018 and a little smaller 2019.  Still was cool to take an old ghost in full velvet long after his posse was hard horned.   That is an exception though. 

This year - I first passed on a stud 9 point with insane brow tines, because everything about his body suggested he was 3.5 and I figured the upside was just too great.   Well things changed, when I saw him 2 weeks later and he got my blood really pumping and decided to shoot.    No buck shaming here - it was my choice and he got to pass on those genes.  I am getting him aged to see "how young" he is vs how old - who knows I may be surprised, but still going with 3.5. 

The ultimate was also last year when I took a veteran's day gigantic 10 I had NO CLUE or history with...  Some bucks especially with no prior history, when they have that holy ###t factor - you do not question. 

I mean I've been out there this year only a handful and have only seen one from too far away during bow season. But as eager as I am to get a buck, just young taking one to take one of any age doesn't appeal to me. I do just love being out there in my stand or in the ground blind - just love it.

Too many factors. Some guys or girls just don’t have the time to hunt as much as they want. Youth sports are time consuming for parents. OT at work. Health issues etc. That’s why I don’t judge anyone and just enjoy the pics. So if your out Monday morning and a spiker comes by. Let it rip if it makes you happy and enjoy it.  Best of luck to everyone and be safe. 

16 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

I mean I've been out there this year only a handful and have only seen one from too far away during bow season. But as eager as I am to get a buck, just young taking one to take one of any age doesn't appeal to me. I do just love being out there in my stand or in the ground blind - just love it.

in order to hunt "Mature" older bucks , it's best to cut you teeth on some younger ones first.   Get experience under your belt before you become more selective.  No decent hunter or human would ever fault or shame you for that.    Learn body angles, how to draw undedected (if using bow), where to place your arrow, bolt or bullet, etc. Learn how to call them in and when not to call - I been at this 46 years and every single hunt is a new experience and I always have something to take away from it. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, FeniQuest217 said:

Now upon reading that you may have taken every shot you've seen but my question for this thread is to what makes you consider letting them walk if you have? Is it too high a risk a shot? is it too far? is it 'just because'? 

Just thinking at the moment that it is a high risk shot or to far should ethically make you not take the shot. Letting them walk is a personal choice decision. Some want something more wether it be rack size or age while others may not... a personal decision. Shoot what makes your heart beat and makes you happy. Hunters should not judge other hinters on what that may be. You’re out there to enjoy not impress

AWM

9 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Just thinking at the moment that it is a high risk shot or to far should ethically make you not take the shot. Letting them walk is a personal choice decision. Some want something more wether it be rack size or age while others may not... a personal decision. Shoot what makes your heart beat and makes you happy. Hunters should not judge other hinters on what that may be. You’re out there to enjoy not impress

unless you are in some "group text" from hell, where no matter what you shoot you will be unmercifully  ridiculed by everyone in the group.    I have heard of such group texts...  They do exists..

I shot a big 10pt once….

I will only shoot a buck if:

1) my target buck

2) bigger then target buck or meets “my” minimum score

3) it just feels right

i never worry about someone shooting a deer I let go.  I never look down on someone shooting a deer I let go or below “my” standards.  I usually hunt deep woods in some pretty unforgiving terrain so it has to be the right deer for me to drag out.  I always think to myself that if I shoot my hunt is over, am I ending all my preparation, scouting, and effort on this deer?  I truly enjoy hunting as a whole where the kill is a very small part of my success.  Once a deer has been in range, I feel I “killed” him and he doesn’t even know it.  I will also let ANY deer walk if the shot isn’t 100%

It's personal. I am introducing my kids to hunting. We hunt in PA. I had a button buck in front of my son a few weeks back and elected not to shoot. I took the time to explain to him that we had a doe tag, the deer was small, and the situation was not right. He understood. It was my choice. A few hours later we ran into a hunter who shot his own Button Buck. He was elated. I told my son that particular hunter made a choice that best suited him. I would rather wait for an older buck or mature doe. We took video and had a blast. I would make that same call 100% of the time.