IGNORED

Permit muzzleloader deer driving!!!

Some might think driving deer while hunting with a ML might not be the safest thing to do but we all know whats fun for ourselves.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 minute ago, bushden said:

Some might think driving deer while hunting with a ML might not be the safest thing to do but we all know whats fun for ourselves.

No different than driving with Slug guns.   Safety first - if standers are NOT elevated, shooting toward drivers is dangerous with either weapon and I have seen drivers get shot with buckshot too during a deer drive.   In fact - I think buckshot would be the most dangerous weapon on deer drives but yet it's most commonly used.  I have seen drivers shoot drivers and standers shoot standers all because basic safety of "know your target and beyond" was not followed.    

It's an effective means to get deer for sure - but needs to be executed safely and you really need to know and trust your partners. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

10 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

No different than driving with Slug guns.   Safety first - if standers are NOT elevated, shooting toward drivers is dangerous with either weapon and I have seen drivers get shot with buckshot too during a deer drive.   In fact - I think buckshot would be the most dangerous weapon on deer drives but yet it's most commonly used.  I have seen drivers shoot drivers and standers shoot standers all because basic safety of "know your target and beyond" was not followed.    

It's an effective means to get deer for sure - but needs to be executed safely and you really need to know and trust your partners. 

Good plan is a key to safety in deer driving. Everyone has to know their job and never deviate from the plan.

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Good plan is a key to safety in deer driving. Everyone has to know their job and never deviate from the plan.

which is why gathering up a bunch of hunters that do not know each other - might be a risky endeavor.  It's NJ - you just don't know what you are going to get. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

which is why gathering up a bunch of hunters that do not know each other - might be a risky endeavor.  It's NJ - you just don't know what you are going to get. 

Understood.  I’ve done drive hunts in PA during the rifle season for deer and bear and we have never run into any issues.  Like you said though we have good hunters and good shooters in our group.  No one shoots unless they are 100% in the safety of the shot.  I’ll probably just end up doing mini drives for the cousin to try and get a doe pushed to him if we can’t get one sitting. 

Just now, tpr1921 said:

I did it once and ended up tasting dirt -  the end for me. Good luck and safe hunting.

See... now if that happened to me, I would have posted a book with the full story here. You can't hit-n-run us with that single sentence and leave us hanging - we need to hear the whole story :D 

14 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

See... now if that happened to me, I would have posted a book with the full story here. You can't hit-n-run us with that single sentence and leave us hanging - we need to hear the whole story :D 

The first shot that put me on notice came from the oldest member of our group that day when a branch his bullet cut floated down about 15-yards from me.  The 2nd incident involved several shots that had me and other drivers hug the ground as a deer ran down the line of standers and the rounds were heard zipping though the brush. 3 of us quite then and there after the drive.

Edited by tpr1921