IGNORED

Good Blackhorn 209 article...

nmc02

1 hour ago, smittty said:

Just asking mike what made you go with a vented plug just Curious because I thought of going that way but I get a few hundred shots with a standard 209 plug before I notice any difference in grouping and there only 20.00 to replace just wondering if you know something I don’t 

Really two reasons. First is I was building long range muzzy's.

I wanted to most consistent system for the breachplug. Say you go to the range last year, shoot a bit. Then hunt and shoot some more. Then this year play with loads and shoot a bunch more. Now I see my groups start to open up and I think I'm going the wrong direction with load development. Instead of abandoning that load, I check the breach plug and its out of spec. Its very simple to change it out for $4 that i have 50 of in my case. Its really for convenience in that sense. 

Second, Let's say there's muzzy's out there that can shoot smokeless powder. This is not recommended. But with smokeless, the pressure and heat created burn up regular breach plugs. So by having a breach plug that can except vent liners, problem fixed and not waiting on new plug in the mail or spending a ton of money. 

In my encore, I press fit a hardened tungsten in it.  No vent plug but last 2000+ shots. Thats my lifetime. And only use blackhorn in it. 

If you know the history of the older Remington 700ml ( not the new 700, they no good ) those older remmy's used the same standards as a center fire rifle. They good guns. Fetch a decent price on the used market. Guys take them and convert to smokeless. .45 cal the ultimate. Some guys using no sabot .40cal. Knurled in both. 

It goes on and on. Been messing with this stuff for over 20yrs. Lots of fun. 

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

11 minutes ago, Booner said:

I wanted to most consistent system for the breachplug. Say you go to the range last year, shoot a bit. Then hunt and shoot some more. Then this year play with loads and shoot a bunch more. Now I see my groups start to open up and I think I'm going the wrong direction with load development. Instead of abandoning that load, I check the breach plug and its out of spec. Its very simple to change it out for $4 that i have 50 of in my case. Its really for convenience in that sense. 

Second, Let's say there's muzzy's out there that can shoot smokeless powder. This is not recommended. But with smokeless, the pressure and heat created burn up regular breach plugs. So by having a breach plug that can except vent liners, problem fixed and not waiting on new plug in the mail or spending a ton of money. 

In my encore, I press fit a hardened tungsten in it.  No vent plug but last 2000+ shots. Thats my lifetime. And only use blackhorn in it. 

If you know the history of the older Remington 700ml ( not the new 700, they no good ) those older remmy's used the same standards as a center fire rifle. They good guns. Fetch a decent price on the used market. Guys take them and convert to smokeless. .45 cal the ultimate. Some guys using no sabot .40cal. Knurled in both. 

Ok very good I figured your first reason but learned something on the others. I know most guy’s don’t know you can and will plane burn out a stainless breech plug that because they don’t shoot them anuff. I have a kp1 that’s my favorite gun I own and shoot the hell out of it I replace the plug every year or two

I don’t wait for bad groups any more after a few hundred shots you can tell with the tip cleaner it’s time. I guess your way you save a few dollars. Thanks for the information and for that gun as I said it’s my favorite gun I own 

36 minutes ago, smittty said:

Ok very good I figured your first reason but learned something on the others. I know most guy’s don’t know you can and will plane burn out a stainless breech plug that because they don’t shoot them anuff. I have a kp1 that’s my favorite gun I own and shoot the hell out of it I replace the plug every year or two

I don’t wait for bad groups any more after a few hundred shots you can tell with the tip cleaner it’s time. I guess your way you save a few dollars. Thanks for the information and for that gun as I said it’s my favorite gun I own 

Boy I miss that gun !! 

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

3 hours ago, Jcol6268 said:

I always got groups like that out of my TC Omega with the PowerBelt's but their performance on game is horrendous.  I've shot quite a few bullets and I haven't found one that has great performance but I've never had a blood trail with any of the PB's.  

Power belts load easy and may group well but they tend to explode at time on contact, at  least that has been my experience with them. I  used barnes  bullets for years with good results but my best experience to date has been with Thor bullets and 209 blackhorn.  Worked great shot that combination for years. However I made the mistake of not noticing that the flash hole had built up with crud to the point  it was full. I ran a small drill bit thru the hole on the bottom and thought I  was good to go. Mind you I am not a newbie, I have been doing with an inline for 40 years. If you had asked me if I was taking care of my gun I would have told you absolutely, I am good to go. Apparently this old dog missed something I should not have and it cost me. Lesson learned.

2 hours ago, Booner said:

Whats wrong with the 700 muzzleloader. I own one and it shoots excellent?

120 gr of bh and a 250 gr accutip its the best shooting muzzleloader I have owned. 

Ive been shooting muzzys since the inlines came out

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

4 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Have you tried the Aerolites? Fast expanding bullet designed for thin skinned game. Barnes shot good out of my optima as well

Oh man I haven’t. I didn’t know that about them. Have you shot game with them? How do they perform? 

48 minutes ago, Deerhunter said:

Power belts load easy and may group well but they tend to explode at time on contact, at  least that has been my experience with them. I  used barnes  bullets for years with good results but my best experience to date has been with Thor bullets and 209 blackhorn.  Worked great shot that combination for years. However I made the mistake of not noticing that the flash hole had built up with crud to the point  it was full. I ran a small drill bit thru the hole on the bottom and thought I  was good to go. Mind you I am not a newbie, I have been doing with an inline for 40 years. If you had asked me if I was taking care of my gun I would have told you absolutely, I am good to go. Apparently this old dog missed something I should not have and it cost me. Lesson learned.

What was the issue with using a drill bit to clean? I currently do that to my plug. 

3 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Why Booner does not like the new 700 & why you like it so much

Oh ok. I thought there was something in my post that wasnt making sense. 

If there is a problem with the gun its news to me. Especially that I have 2k into it

www.liftxrentals.com

To each their own....I think powerbelts are the worst performing bullet out there on game. They are awesome on hitting paper accurately. Horrible on game....NEVER tried aerolights, but are recommended for use of 100 grains or less of powder. I like to shoot heavier bullets w max powder. I have shot many deer w the barnes 290 tmz bullets and think there are no better. Only 1 deer ever ran after being hit....20 yds. 

1 minute ago, nmc02 said:

Why Booner does not like the new 700 & why you like it so much

Im sure booner has his reasons and will chime in but I know if you go on the muzzleloader sites the guys out west feel the same way they say to stay away from the newer 700”s and that the older one are the shooters. For me it’s knights and whites

1 minute ago, nmc02 said:

To each their own....I think powerbelts are the worst performing bullet out there on game. They are awesome on hitting paper accurately. Horrible on game....NEVER tried aerolights, but are recommended for use of 100 grains or less of powder. I like to shoot heavier bullets w max powder. I have shot many deer w the barnes 290 tmz bullets and think there are no better. Only 1 deer ever ran after being hit....20 yds. 

I’m currently running Barnes TEZ 290s. You think they are no better then PBs? Haven’t used them on game yet. 

1 minute ago, smittty said:

Im sure booner has his reasons and will chime in but I know if you go on the muzzleloader sites the guys out west feel the same way they say to stay away from the newer 700”s and that the older one are the shooters. For me it’s knights and whites

Whats considered old and whats considered new?

www.liftxrentals.com

Just now, tcook8296 said:

Oh ok. I thought there was something in my post that wasnt making sense. 

If there is a problem with the gun its news to me. Especially that I have 2k into it

I like to hear different perspectives. Learn that way. I heard the new 700 is very accurate, but a bit too heavy. I love my knight ultralight. It is super light....6.5 lb and is guaranteed to shoot 200 yds accurately.