NJ's Whitetails DNA

44 minutes ago, Zipper said:

Rue"s books were my deer bible when I was just starting out . Highly recommended his books and articles for the foundation of your whitetail knowledge.

Me too.He was still selling and signing,last time I saw him.I think it was Hamilton township at a ubnj dinner when Len Cardinal was inducted into the bow Hunters Hall of Fame.

15 hours ago, Mink said:

Wondering if there has ever been any studies done on the DNA of NJ's whitetail ? Big difference in deer from say Cape May and Sussex County .

I'm probably not alone in saying I'm fascinated by whitetail deer. 

A lot of NJ deer hunters have had similar questions, I know when I was younger I did, and sought answers mainly because older hunters would tell me all deer are the same and there is no difference, but when I looked through outdoor life or F&S and saw the size of some of the bucks vs. what I was seeing, I knew something was up.

I know that some very large bucks have been taken in Cumberland and Salem county so they rival Sussex in size.  But the DNA question has always puzzled me until I researched it. 

We do have subspecies of whitetail deer which originate from (Odocoileus virginianus) the Virginia whitetail.  So just like humans all have similar DNA that makes us human, within that DNA is information that we can trace to certain areas of the world we originated from, subspecies if you will.  

I think at last count there were 38 subspecies of whitetail, 17 of which occur in North America.  The two below in purple are the biggest in body and antler and not what we hunt in NJ.  If you look closely at a northern or dakota whitetail and compare it to a "NJ" whitetail you can clearly see differences.  Even though deer from Michigan and PA were transplanted here, the main species is Virginia.  

O. v. borealis – northern white-tailed deer (the largest and darkest of the white-tailed deer)

O. v. carminis – Carmen Mountains white-tailed deer (Texas-Mexico border)

O. v. clavium – Key deer or Florida Keys white-tailed deer (the smallest North American subspecies, found in the lower Florida Keys; an example of insular dwarfism)

O. v. couesi – Coues' white-tailed deer, Arizona white-tailed deer, or fantail deer

O. v. dacotensis – Dakota white-tailed deer or northern plains white-tailed deer (most northerly distribution, rivals the northern white-tailed deer in size)

O. v. hiltonensis – Hilton Head Island white-tailed deer

O. v. leucurus – Columbian white-tailed deer (Oregon and western coastal area)

O. v. macrourus – Kansas white-tailed deer

O. v. mcilhennyi – Avery Island white-tailed deer

O. v. nigribarbis – Blackbeard Island white-tailed deer

O. v. ochrourus – northwestern white-tailed deer or northern Rocky Mountains white-tailed deer

O. v. osceola – Florida coastal white-tailed deer

O. v. seminolus – Florida white-tailed deer

O. v. taurinsulae – Bulls Island white-tailed deer (Bulls Island, South Carolina)

O. v. texanus – Texas white-tailed deer

O. v. venatorius – Hunting Island white-tailed deer (Hunting Island, South Carolina)

O. v. virginianus – Virginia white-tailed deer or southern white-tailed deer

An author named Valerius Geist wrote a great book, "deer of the world" and explains the history of deer over millions of years. 

25 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

A lot of NJ deer hunters have had similar questions, I know when I was younger I did, and sought answers mainly because older hunters would tell me all deer are the same and there is no difference, but when I looked through outdoor life or F&S and saw the size of some of the bucks vs. what I was seeing, I knew something was up.

I brought my first deer taken in Missouri back to New Jersey long before all of the CWD rules. The butcher I used at the time knew right away that the deer was not taken in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. He could tell just by the texture and color of the venison that it was a Midwestern deer. I asked how he knew and he told me a lot of things factor into it. He said  sub species has something to do with it as well as the diet of the areas in which they browse in farmland or not. He said the soil in which that browse or crop grows contributes to the difference.

It all sounded legit to me back then. I compared the theory to eating a Pennsylvania mountain deer as compared to a pretty much farm fed New Jersey deer.

2 hours ago, Bowhunter458 said:

https://njskylands.com/parks-worthington-state-forest 

Great read on Worthington, the Deer were imported from Wisconsin and Virginia according to this article.

That was a great read thanks for sharing. I know where the buckwood Inn was I haunted it on geissler road.A lot of great memories for me there. Got my bow license when I was 14 after school on a Friday I would hitchhike 60 mi to the Delaware water Gap with my bow and my backpack on a quest to harvest those elusive mountain whitetails. Some memories I have some I probably forgotten. Like the name of the tavern that was directly adjacent to what is known now as the Worthington campground. In that tavern where a bunch of old deer hunters. I'd step up to the bar and get me a bottle of Coca-Cola and bag of wise potato chips grab a chair at a table and listen to their stories. They were members of what was called the Coventry hunting club.at the time I believe then they owned 4200 acres of what is now known as Worthington Forest. A few years later I found camp Mohican what was a boy scout camp then defunked but there was still a ranger taking care of it,me and three of my buddies used to rent a cabin for $5 a night,and hunt those mountaintops from there to Millbrook road. In my twenties my cousin had a girlfriend whose sister was the girlfriend of the new ranger. Camping was now free.lol.. I hunted there up until the time the state took it over which is now operating on a 99-year lease with Trenton State college now called the Mohican outdoor resource Center.:( ...

https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/coventry-pond-trail.htm

Edited by hunterbob1
3 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

That was a great read thanks for sharing. I know where the buckwood Inn was I haunted it on geissler road.A lot of great memories for me there. Got my bow license when I was 14 after school on a Friday I would hitchhike 60 mi to the Delaware water Gap with my bow and my backpack on a quest to harvest those elusive mountain whitetails. Some memories I have some I probably forgotten. Like the name of the tavern that was directly adjacent to what is known now as the Worthington campground. In that tavern where a bunch of old deer hunters. I'd step up to the bar and get me a bottle of Coca-Cola and bag of wise potato chips grab a chair at a table and listen to their stories. They were members of what was called the Coventry hunting club.at the time I believe then they owned 4200 acres of what is now known as Worthington Forest. A few years later I found camp Mohican what was a boy scout camp then defunked but there was still a ranger taking care of it,me and three of my buddies used to rent a cabin for $5 a night,and hunt those mountaintops from there to Millbrook road. In my twenties my cousin had a girlfriend whose sister was the girlfriend of the new ranger. Camping was now free.lol.. I hunted there up until the time the state took it over which is now operating on a 99-year lease with Trenton State college now called the Mohican outdoor resource Center.:( ...

https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/coventry-pond-trail.htm

I hunted up off the AT to the left of camp Mohican for many many years, great area and big bucks hide in that swamp! I miss that area quite a bit, Beautiful up there!