favorite weapon for deer

If I had to pick it would be Rifle, I love bow hunting and the challenge, I enjoy the early muzzy season, 6 day shotgun I could do without. 

There is just something about sitting with my rifle in my hands in NY or other legal states and knowing I'm good out to 300 or 400 yards that gets my blood pumping,

So I'm curious, if you had to choose one weapon is it Bow, Crossbow, Muzzy, shotgun or Rifle?

Bow - I like to get as close as possible. I would honestly rather shoot a respectable 130” 8 point with my Matthews at 17 yards than a Boone and Crockett buck with rifle at 200 yards. To me it’s about seeing that animal up close.  Maybe if I lived in wide open prairie state I would feel different. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

My favorite is the Bow by far. Then it would be Shotgun. I hunt with the muzzleloader but it’s my least favorite. 

Curious why? Is the 1 shot limit? or the smoke that makes it impossible to see the shot?

It’s hard to pick but if I had to it would be rifle. I look forward to the 5 days after Thanksgiving like nothing else. It has little to do with the hunting but more importantly the tradition, remoteness of Tioga PA, and deer camp.  A whole different feel than shooting a buck in a patch of woods behind some houses. Love them all but rifle season in PA is special.  

I get the folks who say bow, it's definitely a rush being so close, under 40 yards and waiting on the shot, Muzzy also requires time to refine the load and get dialed in and you have one shot...Rifle; you scouted, you found the spot and you can reach out and kill that deer that is 100 yards or more away that you could not harvest with a string and stick.

I'm really interested in anyone that picks shotgun...maybe the thrill of a successful drive? The opportunity for a quick clean kill that you cant guarantee with a bow? Or just the whole 6 day tradition...

2 minutes ago, Gman said:

Curious why? Is the 1 shot limit? or the smoke that makes it impossible to see the shot?

It’s the extra time and prep really. I don’t like to leave my muzzy loaded for long periods of time. Unloading and cleaning after every hunt is a pain in the ass. Everyone has their opinions on leaving guns loaded for the season or long stretches. I’ve heard it all and I don’t like to leave it loaded for more than a couple days. To each their own. 

I would rather just use my bow than deal with the extra gear and time that goes into muzzleloader. I stated that I do hunt with my muzzleloader but it is usually after I tag out with my extended bow permit. If I still have a bow tag I usually just bow hunt except for the shotgun seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

It’s the extra time and prep really. I don’t like to leave my muzzy loaded for long periods of time. Unloading and cleaning after every hunt is a pain in the ass. Everyone has their opinions on leaving guns loaded for the season or long stretches. I’ve heard it all and I don’t like to leave it loaded for more than a couple days. To each their own. 

I would rather just use my bow than deal with the extra gear and time that goes into muzzleloader. I stated that I do hunt with my muzzleloader but it is usually after I tag out with my extended bow permit. If I still have a bow tag I usually just bow hunt except for the shotgun seasons. 

I just shot my muzzle loader with a load from last year.  Its still dead on no issues

8 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

It’s your gun so it’s your way and that’s the way it should be.

I go the other way, its loaded all season to the end