IGNORED

Deer rifle recommendations?

Pathman

6 hours ago, Pathman said:

So then this begs the next question, which caliber would be my best choice for relatively low felt recoil, but still get the job done on deer/bear, and be a fun rifle to shoot from the bench? 

7mm-08. Sight in 2" high at 100. Puts you dead on out to 200 and only a few inches low at 300. 140gr bullet.  Plenty of energy. 

Recovered one of the bullets from my cow elk. Just under the skin on opposite side. 180 yards.  150gr soft point. The one on the right. 

IMG_20201102_162221392.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sako76 said:

Joint Venture--you can not mention follow-up shots on this forum, everyone is a one shot wonder!  For eastern deer hunting you can't beat a 308.  Good luck.

Aren’t we all!  Agree on the .308, I feel like it is underrated.  My Dads 760 is in .308 and is a great shooter.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for all the input so far guys, but O still have a few decisions to make.
Ok, I’ve kinda settled on two calibers that i will choose between soon, but I won’t reveal until all my choices are made!😎

So let’s explore another part of the equation for this rifle. 

What are your thoughts on the carbon wrapped barrels?
Do these barrels serve any real purpose other then cutting back on the weight?

I know they’re supposed to cool the barrel faster, therefore keeping the heat from altering the barrel accuracy, but I don’t think that it is an issue in a hunting situation, but, with my plan to shoot the gun for fun as well, is that something I should consider? 

34 minutes ago, Pathman said:

So other then aesthetics and ruggedness, any functional difference you think?

Accuracy? 
You won’t see many carbon barrels on the line at a BR match. And say what you will about BR, but those guys build some accurate guns. 

Is is something that will make a difference to most? Nope. But for guys looking to squeeze out that last little bit it makes a difference. 

I like the carbon barrels a bunch. Don’t get me wrong. And, I’m not at all a BR shooter. So for me, I pass due to finances 😂

I used to be "Topher"

54 minutes ago, Pathman said:

So other then aesthetics and ruggedness, any functional difference you think?

Yes what you gain in weight loss you lose in balance. Don’t get me wrong, carbon wrapped barrels are accurate but there is more to off hand or shooting off sticks that the heavier weight of a steel barrel does to make it a more accurate shooter. Weight distribution across the firearm with a tad more towards the front make it recoil more smoothly and straight back. Light in the front can easily make the barrel jump on recoil.  Off a bench rest both will basically be the same.

AWM

19 minutes ago, Bully said:

Accuracy? 
You won’t see many carbon barrels on the line at a BR match. And say what you will about BR, but those guys build some accurate guns. 

Is is something that will make a difference to most? Nope. But for guys looking to squeeze out that last little bit it makes a difference. 

I like the carbon barrels a bunch. Don’t get me wrong. And, I’m not at all a BR shooter. So for me, I pass due to finances 😂

Hey topher, didn’t I buy a rifle from you? 

I understand the BR difference, but I think you won’t see carbon because they don’t need to consider weight. I’m looking for a balance of all the good things I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Hey topher, didn’t I buy a rifle from you? 

I understand the BR difference, but I think you won’t see carbon because they don’t need to consider weight. I’m looking for a balance of all the good things I guess. 

Yessir. 10/22. 

You are correct on that point. But, you asked about the differences. That one of them (accuracy). The carbon barrels are certainly accurate enough for “x” applications, but there is a difference. 

All of it is a balance of compromise. 

I have fussed with enough rifles to say this, build a rifle from the bullet out. 
Meaning, pick your cartridge, pick your bullet, and build your gun around it and what you want that bullet to do.  Buying a factory rifle makes that a bit more challenging but, let’s say you want to shoot a 223 (this is all as an example) and use it for prairie dogging (200-400 yards) and midrange FTR matches. Knowing this, you decide that the 69g Sierra Match King is the billet for you. 
Now, find (or build)your rifle. 
You’ll want at least a 24” barrel for speed, in a relatively heavy contour as you won’t be humping  it and you want to keep the hot barrel dance to a minimum. You want an 8 twist, fast enough to stabilize but not such a format twist that you excessively slow the bullet coming out of the bore. On and on, ad infinitum. 

Edited by Bully

I used to be "Topher"