Deer rifle recommendations?

If up to 3000 check out seekins

https://seekinsprecision.com/

Also Christianson.

Hart rifles can't go wrong.

https://www.hartcustomrifles.com/

Now if it it 3000 including scope then get

Savage with a Swarovski scope. You will never regret it.

Get good glass if you are spending the money.

My self if I had 300o i would get the Springfield waypoint in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Swarovski z3

Edited by thefirstndsecond

CRF (controlled round feed) used to be considered an absolute requirement, especially for dangerous game. Truth be told, it was probably more of a selling point than anything else. Basically a claw/extractor grabs the cartridge rim as soon as it rises from the magazine. Some say that it aids reliability. The one real advantage it has, it is usually quieter when chambering a round than a standard push feed. Model 70's pre-64 as well as newer models all use CRF.

Push feed rifles are typically just as reliable as CRF, but a little noisier when the cartridge "pops" out of the magazine and into the chamber. Less reliable? Doubtful that the US military would be using them for sniper roles if they were. Remington Model 700, as well as clones all use push feed actions.

Books have been written about which is better; but for most, it doesn't matter. The arguments for/against WILL give you a headache.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, Pathman said:

while I have you guys, someone mentioned the controlled feed vs. push feed actions. 
I’m  not too familiar with the difference, and is it something I should consider? 

As Flatt said, more of a selling point but while on actions one thing to consider is bolt throw. Typical bolts throw 90 degrees making follow up shots a little more difficult especially with larger scopes. Rifles like the Weatherby Mark V have a 54 degree lift making cycling fast. Browning is around 60 degrees. I can cycle my Mark V as fast as sny pump rifles. Just food for thought

Pathman not sure what style of rifle you are looking for and know guys just gave you a bunch of bolt action recommendations... if you’re looking for something a little different and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot I use a Benelli R1 it’s very accurate for a hunting rifle, fast follow up shots if needed and zero recoil.

My brother and buddy have Browning BARs same deal as my benelli but the brownings weigh a lot more.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

Edited by Herd Buck
2 minutes ago, Herd Buck said:

Pathman not sure what style of rifle you are looking for and know guys just gave you a bunch of bolt action recommendations... if you’re looking for something a little different and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot I use a Benelli R1 it’s very accurate for a hunting rifle, fast follow up shots if needed and zero recoil.

My brother and buddy have Browning BARs same deal as my benelli but the brownings weigh a lot more.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

Just keep in mind that you cannot use that in PA for deer.

I have been hunting both NY and PA woods for 25 plus years.  You can count on a few things...

1.  Majority of shots (unless on a huge field) will be under 100 yards. 

2.  Deer will be pressured (often moving quickly) and fast follow up shots can be key.  I personally know I am no where near as quick with a bolt as compared to cycling a Pump.

3.  Weather will be a challenge.  Snow, freezing rain, etc.  Reliability of the weapon is key.  No auto’s in PA anyway.

Under your price range, but I would choose an older Remington 760 or 7600 Pump all day long.  Not a new Remington -they are junk compared to the older models.  Slap on a 2 x 7 Leupold and you are all set.  I have several of these guns (30.06, .308, and .270) and looking for more if anyone is selling!

The reality is, there are many guns out there that will do the job, and it comes down to personal preference and fine tuning the weapon choice to hunting style. Whatever you go with, best of luck.

If you’re looking to spend some money I’d go kimber or Christensen.   But to be honest I think a 30-06 in either a game master or a Remington 700 is one of the best.  The game master is awesome.  Can cycle shots like a shotgun speed.  Not really needed for deer but for bear season it comes in handy plus you have a broad spectrum of billet grains to utilize.  I have my grandpas Remington 700 in 7mm mag from 1970s with a red field square reactivated scope.  It’s the bomb! 

Me personally, I have a fondness for Winnies.  Crazy part is, I don't own one.  But I used to.  Featherweight in 308.  Was a great gun.  

I also have a fondness for 7's. 

Deer:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884963425

Bigger than deer:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882785906

Glass:
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-5hd-2-10x42mm

Good luck.  Lots of good info and suggestions.  

As with most stuff gun, it'll get "mission specific" pretty quickly.  A good hunting rifle is not necessarily a good bench gun.  Light weight sporter barrels get sloppy fast when they get hot.  Target barrels suck to hump any more than from the car to the bench.  

I’ve been rifle hunting for 43 years. Started with a 30-06 and later bought a 7mm REM.  mag. Figured I would also use 7mm out West for elk or moose and will one day soon. That said, both guns are overkill in the East for whitetails.  I ordered a Kimber bolt action in .257 Roberts which has been delayed by Covid. My shots are seldom over 80 yards and often under 35. Why shoot a magnum caliber for those ranges for a whitetail?