NY state Rifle, a Few Observations

7 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

It gets quieter every year.  The old days of opening day being a semi-holiday for many are mostly done.  In addition, one reason less shooting is a lot more hunters are holding out for a rack & not shooting spikes lately...

That's nice to hear.  I haven't hunted NYS for a 1/2 dozen years or so and we used to stay at a bed and breakfast that would pack a lunch and cook a nice meal for dinner.  There were two others guys there too and every year they would shoot a spike.  Nice guys, and they would say they only see spikes and would usually take them on opening day.  Well if you only shoot spikes then that's pretty much what you will continue to see.  

I had read that a record number of NY hunting licenses were sold this year, apparently the hunter safety course is now 100% virtual with no field safety testing required.  

I don't recall NY ever having field safety testing. My son got his 2 years ago sitting in a classroom in Brooklyn and just having to pass the test.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Gman we are in an antler point restriction zone also 4R...it makes no sense to me doing it in such a low deer density zone, you’re just making poor odds even worse for the average guy.  

Point restrictions should be in zones with high deer densities in my opinion and just give out more doe tags if you’re trying to reduce the herd. 

Chenango county here too, first hilljack took shots Saturday at 6:32 am, way before legal time!    first group of knucke draggin hilljack yahoos did their drive at 8:45 am, buddy got a nice 4, I saw 6 deer, all without horn, going back up straight from Turkey dinner.    I was in New michigan state forrest, and Pharsalia.    POharsalia will be tursday night if I am fast enough, or Friday morning,  then I might try Beaver meadow.