IGNORED

Deer hang over night

Buck619

Below 50 DEGREES is the drop dead temp for keeping over night and cavity must be open to cool. I know some may say no but I have hung deer just under 50 and they keep just fine, but once temps start hitting 50 or higher NO GO.  It will have to be iced. Tonights temps are going to be above 50 so you will need to ice it.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Hanging Time

65-70 degrees   24-36 hours

50 degrees        3-4 days

35-40 degrees   7-10 days

I took these from a hunting  book on butchering.  I deducted  some hours to a couple days from the book to be on the safe side.

I’ve been following these guidelines for over 20 years as I do all my own butchering,

1 hour ago, jerseyhunter said:

Hanging Time

65-70 degrees   24-36 hours

50 degrees        3-4 days

35-40 degrees   7-10 days

I took these from a hunting  book on butchering.  I deducted  some hours to a couple days from the book to be on the safe side.

I’ve been following these guidelines for over 20 years as I do all my own butchering,

Agree but it doesn't hurt to pack carcass cavity and between hams in ice above 50 degrees. 

I think a lot of guys over think hanging deer in warmer temps. I’ve never butchered a deer without hanging at least 3-4 days no matter what temp. Never had meat go bad either. Meat doesn’t just go bad overnight, ever see the food markets in other countries?  I pack it with ice and wrap it up in heavy blankets, with the fur and the blankets it acts as a cooler. 

15 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

I think a lot of guys over think hanging deer in warmer temps. I’ve never butchered a deer without hanging at least 3-4 days no matter what temp. Never had meat go bad either. Meat doesn’t just go bad overnight, ever see the food markets in other countries?  I pack it with ice and wrap it up in heavy blankets, with the fur and the blankets it acts as a cooler. 

I would not think twice hanging it overnight with no ice in the 50s.

27 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

BTW your post is little confusing. You say no problem hanging for 3-4 days no matter what temps and then you say you apply ice. You ice it for 3-4 days?

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

BTW your post is little confusing. You say no problem hanging for 3-4 days no matter what temps and then you say you apply ice. You ice it for 3-4 days?

Yea I guess it is a little. Yes I ice it the whole time. I’ll just swap the bags out or sometimes I have frozen jugs of water if it’s really warm. Other times I ice it down at first and being it’s wrapped I’ll check the temps inside to see if it needs more or not. 

It helps to have it in garage or insulated shed. At night when it’s cool open the door a little and shut it in the morning and try not to go in and out. That helps hold a steady cool temp even when the days are warm. 

I have hung deer overnight in 50° temperature with no problem.

The ideal temperature for aging is between 35° and 39° .  When Jorge the butcher was in business he had a cooler regulated to that temperature. He hung everyone's deer in it for a few days. That made a real difference in taste and tenderness. I don't know of any other butchers that do that.

2 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I have hung deer overnight in 50° temperature with no problem.

The ideal temperature for aging is between 35° and 39° .  When Jorge the butcher was in business he had a cooler regulated to that temperature. He hung everyone's deer in it for a few days. That made a real difference in taste and tenderness. I don't know of any other butchers that do that.

Miss Jorge.  He made some great sausage. 

I keep a few frozen gallons of water in my chest freezer to make cavity icing a breeze.  Also, if I go hunting in warmer weather, I bring them in a cooler and then I can place them immediately in the cavity so the meat ices down on the ride home.  

"God bless America and the 2nd Amendment!" 

www.NorthJerseyMike.com

UBNJ Member

OLM Knights of Columbus, Kinnelon, NJ