IGNORED

The Great North Woods hunt

LPJR

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 12:23 PM, LPJR said:

TOTALLY different than hunting in NJ. We tracked several times and noticed that deer, maybe bucks, cut our tracks after we walked in on our tracks....behind us! The deer up there are definitely used to surviving, from the yotes to the deep snow to the extreme conditions. 

That's how the Benoit brothers killed big bucks in the big woods. One brother would walk and the other would follow his tracks later, catching the deer circling behind.

Looks like a good time, tough hunt.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, Nomad said:

We had none in Maine where I was, and had a 1/2 inch of ice that crackled and crunched every time you took a step.  First time in 30 years that I did not see a single deer in 8 days of hunting.  Put on the miles like you and also did a lot of sitting on scrape lines because of the noisy walking.  Between the 3 of use we saw only 1 deer in the 8 days.  

Yeah, Maine was tough. We were there from the 13th to 22nd. We each covered about 6 miles on a slow day, up to 10 on a fast paced day, in different areas, and saw almost no sign, and only one deer each. They were bucks, and we shot them, but was tough seeing no other deer. Saw more coyotes than deer. Was pretty crunchy most of the time but we had a pretty stiff wind for noise cover most days. Shot my deer coming straight at me, on the ground, at about 7 yards. 

We covered a lot of ground, saw very little sign, and that was the common theme by everyone else up there this year: no deer seen.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

13 hours ago, DV1 said:

Looks like a good time, tough hunt.

Yeah, Maine was tough. We were there from the 13th to 22nd. We each covered about 6 miles on a slow day, up to 10 on a fast paced day, in different areas, and saw almost no sign, and only one deer each. They were bucks, and we shot them, but was tough seeing no other deer. Saw more coyotes than deer. Was pretty crunchy most of the time but we had a pretty stiff wind for noise cover most days. Shot my deer coming straight at me, on the ground, at about 7 yards. 

We covered a lot of ground, saw very little sign, and that was the common theme by everyone else up there this year: no deer seen.

Nice.  Any size to the deer?