IGNORED

Hen pheasants

EdisonDog1313

Hello all, please forgive an ignorant question from a new hunter. Last winter, as a thirty something year old, I  finally decided to give upland bird hunting a try (and deer hunting too). I found it quite intimidating to learn and keep track of all the rules and regulations as none of my family or close friends hunt. For some reason I was under the impression that it is illegal to kill a hen pheasant in NJ. I've had almost as many opportunities to shoot at hens as I have roosters but have chosen not to as I thought it was illegal. I met a gentleman from out of state today while in the field who was extremely nice and informed me that it was perfectly legal to harvest hens in nj WMAs. Can any one clarify for me what the regulations are for hen pheasants in WMAs and generally the rest of the state. Thanks!

Yes. These birds are all stocked and isn’t a sustaining population. So shoot away at the hens it’s legal

in other states where pheasant are wild they don’t shoot hens to keep populations up.  But that doesn’t apply here 

Edited by Bossman429

18 minutes ago, nb6624 said:

You can only shoot the hens on even numbered days that end in Y after 12 o'clock. And only if you have a stamp and hunting stateland...🤣🤣🤣

71GyA6xQEGL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 minutes ago, Shakyjake said:

When I was younger (going back 20+ years) we could only shoot hens on WMA's or if hunting private land North of Rt 80 (I Think that was the line). I would imagine that was a means to keep a breeding population. I assume that rule has changed?

????:shock:

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, Shakyjake said:

When I was younger (going back 20+ years) we could only shoot hens on WMA's or if hunting private land North of Rt 80 (I Think that was the line). I would imagine that was a means to keep a breeding population. I assume that rule has changed?

I don’t remember the demarcation lines, but I remember pheasant hunting in the early 60’s and hens couldn’t be taken in certain areas. Legal on WMA’s, maybe it was Federal land they couldn’t be taken on. I dunno, I was only ten at the time. 

2 hours ago, Setters4life said:

I don’t remember the demarcation lines, but I remember pheasant hunting in the early 60’s and hens couldn’t be taken in certain areas. Legal on WMA’s, maybe it was Federal land they couldn’t be taken on. I dunno, I was only ten at the time. 

Got my first hen, down the road from pub 199 Howard boulevard. I was 14.Think was Berkshire valley land,amagin this was , there was no law against pulling over on the side of the highway rt80 and parking and pulling your shotguns out

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On 9/6/2023 at 12:57 PM, hunterbob1 said:

Got my first hen, down the road from pub 199 Howard boulevard. I was 14.Think was Berkshire valley land,amagin this was , there was no law against pulling over on the side of the highway rt80 and parking and pulling your shotguns out

The good old days...

Now you'll have 2 dozen calls to the police of a crazy lunatic shooting at cars going by.