Forgotten treestands

6 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Did you ever remove an old wooden stand? Then leave the metal one alone also. I found what looks like the first ladder stand ever made. It was round pipes which I had never seen before. It was super rusty. And there it still stands. I also know where a climber has been sitting at base of a tree since opening day of 6 day last year. And there it still sits. Not mine so I don't touch it. Want to know if it abandoned--do something to find out like a couple suggestions in this thread. Would you be okay if say you had trail cam out year round and it went missing because nobody ever saw you there changing batteries/sd card? Hey I thought it was forgotten/abandoned. 

comparring a small trail camera to a rusted or rotted piece of junk with the tree trying to grow around it is silly. 

5 minutes ago, Kype said:

comparring a small trail camera to a rusted or rotted piece of junk with the tree trying to grow around it is silly. 

Really? I have a treestand that is 12 years old. Some of my trail cams look older then my ladder stand in that spot. So I disagree with you. And it is using the same premise of what that poster was trying to justify for taking the ladder stand down.

2 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Did you ever remove an old wooden stand? Then leave the metal one alone also. I found what looks like the first ladder stand ever made. It was round pipes which I had never seen before. It was super rusty. And there it still stands. I also know where a climber has been sitting at base of a tree since opening day of 6 day last year. And there it still sits. Not mine so I don't touch it. Want to know if it abandoned--do something to find out like a couple suggestions in this thread. Would you be okay if say you had trail cam out year round and it went missing because nobody ever saw you there changing batteries/sd card? Hey I thought it was forgotten/abandoned. 

First off I've never messed with any to begin with, this is a question more about stewardship of the land. Wooden stands don't last nearly as long as a steel one will so that point doesn't make much sense, woods are made of wood. Actually if there was a tree that needed to be hunted out of that had some old wooden stand in the way then yes I would remove it but because you say I can't do that with a metal one thats been sitting there near a decade?! Since last 6 day? Im not talking a year here Im saying years, like when the straps are gone or the tree has consumed the chain. With your logic at some point in the future every good tree to hunt from will have a old metal stand in it thats untouchable. Why? Once abandoned it becomes trash just like when some jackwadd throws his couch on the side of the road(your logic that guy is coming back to hangout and drink some beers off that couch later)! Your analogies are reaching at best here! If I don't see someone changing cards or batteries on a camera Id think it was abandoned? No I wouldn't because I'm not retarted and how would I know when someone slipped in to mess with their camera? Im talking about stands that have new growth coming off the platform, stands that have trees laying on them and stands like I already brought up in this paragraph. Just because its metal does not make it not abandoned trash at some point.

3 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Really? I have a treestand that is 12 years old. Some of my trail cams look older then my ladder stand in that spot. So I disagree with you. And it is using the same premise of what that poster was trying to justify for taking the ladder stand down.

Dude you are so reaching! Anyone with half a brain can see if a stand has been hunted in the last ten years

5 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Dude you are so reaching! Anyone with half a brain can see if a stand has been hunted in the last ten years

Not reaching at all. I guess we look at it differently. I am not touching it because it is not mine. When did you become an expert in determining how long a stand has been up just by looking at it? That rusty stand could have been handed down to someone.  I came across a wooden stand just last week. Still looked like it could be huntable. So I moved on. Just like I did when I found the old rusty pipe ladder stand.  

17 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Not reaching at all. I guess we look at it differently. I am not touching it because it is not mine. When did you become an expert in determining how long a stand has been up just by looking at it? That rusty stand could have been handed down to someone.  I came across a wooden stand just last week. Still looked like it could be huntable. So I moved on. Just like I did when I found the old rusty pipe ladder stand.  

when did you become an expert in tree stand safety and what stands can and cannot be hunted from? bottom line is every stand needs to be removed after your hunt. if you hunt private you can do whatever your heart desires. 

what hunter would hand me down a rusted old piece or crap with safety concerns? cmon. 

4 minutes ago, Kype said:

when did you become an expert in tree stand safety and what stands can and cannot be hunted from? bottom line is every stand needs to be removed after your hunt. if you hunt private you can do whatever your heart desires. 

what hunter would hand me down a rusted old piece or crap with safety concerns? cmon. 

AWWW you have hurt feelings? I did not claim to be an expert in tree stand safety. But without actually attempting to climb into the wooden stand, it looked like it was in good enough shape to. So if I had built the stand and not hunted it say last year. It looked sturdy enough that I would climb in to make sure. Just not doing it in someone else's stand.

And when did you get put in charge of what should be left in the woods and what should be removed? You do know there are many guys who would not be able to hunt from a stand if that was ever a rule right? So you are younger and more able so tell the older folks f u because you don't want their  tree stand in the woods. Why don't you have consideration for all hunters and not just yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Kype said:

So your thought is those that can't afford land shouldn't leave a stand in the woods..  if that were the case I would barley get out.  If I get out at 3 o'clock I have a couple stands set I can be in by 315 330.  If I had to set up or use climber in that case thus time if the year I couldn't hunt.  The stands I leave I know someone may hunt the area it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Hitemnasty said:

My big question has always been, at what point is it ok to remove the stand as trash? Is it steal stealing if someone left it there forever? Just like if you see a old tire or air conditioner, you know all the other crap people leave on public land. Can you pick any of that up because its trash or are you stealing because someone left it there and you just not sure why?

In NJ State Forests stands that are not removed 14 days after the season ends or are placed more than 30 days before the season are considered abandoned and considered last and found.  You are only allowed one stand and it must be marked with your  CID and contact info.  

5 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

In NJ State Forests stands that are not removed 14 days after the season ends or are placed more than 30 days before the season are considered abandoned and considered last and found.  You are only allowed one stand and it must be marked with your  CID and contact info.  

I've never seen that for state forests thats a rule on some county parks though.  But I could be wrong.

Ok it is not state forests it is state parks that that applies to

Screenshot_20201116-182816_Web Browser.jpg

Edited by vdep217
25 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

AWWW you have hurt feelings? I did not claim to be an expert in tree stand safety. But without actually attempting to climb into the wooden stand, it looked like it was in good enough shape to. So if I had built the stand and not hunted it say last year. It looked sturdy enough that I would climb in to make sure. Just not doing it in someone else's stand.

And when did you get put in charge of what should be left in the woods and what should be removed? You do know there are many guys who would not be able to hunt from a stand if that was ever a rule right? So you are younger and more able so tell the older folks f u because you don't want their  tree stand in the woods. Why don't you have consideration for all hunters and not just yourself. 

"it looked liked it was in good shape"  good one. 

im not in charge of anything. im voicing my opionion on the subject. 

if you cant hunt from a tree stand then you shouldnt be in one. get a ground blind. 

you obviously cant handle an adult conversation with your first sentence. so have a good night. 

31 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

So your thought is those that can't afford land shouldn't leave a stand in the woods..  if that were the case I would barley get out.  If I get out at 3 o'clock I have a couple stands set I can be in by 315 330.  If I had to set up or use climber in that case thus time if the year I couldn't hunt.  The stands I leave I know someone may hunt the area it is what it is.

i cant afford land either so i hear you. but the constant eye soars over the years and years that stands stay up is ridiculous. and some hunters(not saying you) think its a "marking my spot"  its not fair to guys who did homework and found a spot only to see tree stands every 50 yards that are still up from last years season or even more. 

41 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I've never seen that for state forests thats a rule on some county parks though.  But I could be wrong.

Ok it is not state forests it is state parks that that applies to

Screenshot_20201116-182816_Web Browser.jpg

In the letter that you posted Read #1. Lands and waters administered by the park service.  State forests are administered by the park service.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/parkindex.html

It's another one of them illegal regulations.  The actual codified regulations require say...

(d) Hunting from portable, temporary hunting tree stands or hunting blinds is permitted. However, the hunter using the portable temporary hunting tree stand or hunting blind shall remove it immediately after use.

That why what you posted says relaxed.  Legally they don't have any authority to relax a regulation that was passed.

The codified regulations also forbid rifles except muzzleloader for deer.

Edited by nickmarch