IGNORED

11/14 A first for me

bucksnort23

I got into my stand just before daylight with the intent of trying some grunts and rattling for the first time.  I pulled out the grunt tube and gave a couple grunts and then followed it up with some rattling.  I have never done this before so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I settled in and began to watch to see what happened.  At 6:45 I saw a deer come off of a flat ridge down toward me.  I ranged him at 45 yard and he just kept coming, I grabbed my bow and he just kept coming... I was amazed an frankly a little surprised I settled the 20 yard pin on him and shot right over his back.  I even managed to nock another arrow but he looked right up and busted me.  All of this happened in such a short period of time I failed to get my composure.  Mind you it was not a huge buck and when I ranged where he stood he was right at about 12 yards.  Call it buck fever, but it was exciting none the less.  Even though this didn't end in harvesting a buck it was an exciting first for me.  I am not sure if grunting and rattling always works during the rut but I will say it did this time.  Best of luck to all the other hunters out there.

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I've had bucks come running to calls and others run like their ass was on fire.  Every deer is different and they could react completely different depending on their mood that moment. Good memories regardless. That's what makes it so fun and challenging.  

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

12 hours ago, Lunatic said:

They know exactly where the sound comes from. I had them come directly to my tree and I have a feeling so was your buck 

I agree with Lunatic, I have grunted and or rattled and had deer come in and look right at me like they were looking right through me. 

12 hours ago, Devil Horns said:

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I've had bucks come running to calls and others run like their ass was on fire.  Every deer is different and they could react completely different depending on their mood that moment. Good memories regardless. That's what makes it so fun and challenging.  

I also agree with Devil Horns, I have had the same results.

Rattling and grunting has it's right time and place. Every place is different as the deer are too. I rattled a buck in from 250 yards in a corn field to 5 yards of the tree, amazing how he knew where to go with in a couple yards. 

Just a grunt call works 10x more than rattle antlers.