IGNORED

11/10 ✔ in

Greybeard

Timing was off by a min or two this morning for me.  I went into a stand at gray light since I had bumped a buck out of the cover behind the stand one morning last week.  Figured I'd sneak in there when it was light enough to see encase something was hanging out there again.  Had to stop and wait an extra 10 min due to it still being pretty dark in there then snuck into stand.  While I'm attaching my harness to the tree a nice buck walks into my main shooting lane at 25 yds broadside.  My bow is dangling on a rope 20+ feet below me and the race was on.  Every time he moved or looked away I pulled up the bow.  By the time I had it in hand he was across the opening and into some brush.  If he went right I could still get a shot any other direction and it was over.  He looks to be turning right as I am nocking an arrow and he heard the slight click of the nock on the string.  Took 2-3 hops out in front of me, looked around, snorted and walked straight away never offering a shot.  As I stood there laughing about it I thought to myself he came down the trail I have a camera on so hopefully I got some good pictures of him.  Pretty sure he is not a buck I ever saw or got pictures of before.  Got down and checked camera and batteries dead it stopped taking pictures a week ago.  Could have been my shortest sit ever if I was up the tree a minute earlier as my bow would have been in my hand when he walked out.  

Edited by beaverman

Cool share beaver.Que sera sera.Circa 1972.obviously before internet, Google.All I had to go on was yearly subscriptions to outdoor life and field and stream.There were authors who shared how to rattle in whitetail bucks. cool I gotta try that. I had a set of an 8 pointer I shot the year before so I drilled holes in the bases and tethered them together with real rawhide.my first hunt with them (late fall bow)was in the kittatinny mountains in blairstown just on the outskirts of camp Mohican. Walked in the in the woods probably a couple hundred yards off the road, Baker slim jim on my back and rattle horns around my neck. Looking for good tree to climb,found one. Tied my paracord to the stand and to the bow climbed the tree. Okay I'm settled in,let me get an early start at this rattle stuff so a buck on the ridgetop will get my location and meander on down. This six pointer comes out of nowhere right underneath my tree. The bow was still on the ground.:banghead:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Had action last 40 minutes. First four fawns came in then all around the perimeter were nervous older does that were being "hunted" and not by me.    Was optimistic was going to see a buck and eventually one revealed itself and started chasing.  A freakin' spike!    Saw 11 deer total.    Quite warm but the rut goes on as does the RELENTLESS pursuit for a mature buck. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, jumpthestring said:

Congrats Greybeard , you still dragging that deer.lol

Thank god for kids.  My son came to help or I'd still be out there.  I was way back and down a mountain. Just got done with everything from cutting it up for jerky and getting it in a marinade, brought that to my sons to put in his fridge, cleaning gun, reporting it, getting head skinned and in a bucket of water, cleaning up and bagging the waste for the dump tomorrow(glad my wife is good about using the kitchen).  

Hunt started yesterday around noon.  After seeing nothing all morning back by a swamp, I walked the top of a mountain and seen 2 deer sneak off below me with tails down.  They were bedded in boulders where I had seen 2 bucks do the same thing to me the first time I went back there 3 years ago.  I sat the afternoon where I could look up the hillside to the boulders and down the mountain to the terrace below.  I heard snorting down below but could not see the deer.  Draft was going downhill.  This morning I started in the same spot with the wind blowing uphill this time, but that changed to a downhill draft so I headed down to the next terrace where I heard the deer snort yesterday.  Buck rubs all over, a fresh scrape, and leaves were messed up as if rutting was going on there.  Sat against a tree where I could look up to my other blind and down to the next terrace, plus I could see back farther on the terrace I was on.  Wasn't there 5 minutes and he came walking the terrace below me.

Had a downdraft so kept the gun on him, and when he came to an alerted stop I had a clear shot at the shoulder and took it.  When the smoke clear, he was gone.  All I heard was one crash as if he stumbled on rocks off to the right.  He was out of sight over the hill in no time.  Went down to where he was and the first thing I saw there was where the bullet dug into the ground, then a pile of white hair, and another pile of white hair.  Thought maybe I knocked the scope off when I fell on the way in and grazed him low.  Not a speck of blood so I searched over to where I heard the crash and found him 40yds away.  Went through both shoulders and the hair was from the armpits. No blood came out of the shoulders on either side.