IGNORED

What time is first shooting light

Like said above, just google sunrise time for the day you are hunting. 

For example, tomorrow sunrise up north is 0640 hours. If I were hunting in the morning, I would commit to being on stand at @ 0600 sharp. Woods start to "crack and break light" @ 0610 or a half hour before sunrise..

Welcome to the site. :up:

3 hours ago, LPJR said:

Like said above, just google sunrise time for the day you are hunting. 

For example, tomorrow sunrise up north is 0640 hours. If I were hunting in the morning, I would commit to being on stand at @ 0600 sharp. Woods start to "crack and break light" @ 0610 or a half hour before sunrise..

Welcome to the site. :up:

You lazy bum!! You should be in your stand at least 30 minutes before shooting light, at 5:40:happywave:

Classic New Jersey- what should be an easy question, in fact isn’t. If you ask one game warden- they will tell you that it is based off of Trenton sunrise/sunset table- the table provided In digest. If you ask others, it is based off of sunrise/sunset of the location you are hunting. (Half hour before). 

doesnt really matter for deer- birds it could be a few minute swing and people get their panties in a bunch. 

rant over. Good luck out there! 

Edited by Hawkeye57

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

If you ask one game warden- they will tell you that it is based off of Trenton sunrise/sunset table- the table provided In digest.

I have first hand knowledge of this.  I received a written warning in 2013 for hunting before legal time.  It was the day before Thanksgiving and I went squirrel hunting at a WMA.  I was not engaged in hunting at all, I had parked, dressed and started walking into the woods when I was stopped.  I was told legal hunting is based off the times in the digest, not the weather channel, not an app, etc.    

1 minute ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

I have first hand knowledge of this.  I received a written warning in 2013 for hunting before legal time.  It was the day before Thanksgiving and I went squirrel hunting at a WMA.  I was not engaged in hunting at all, I had parked, dressed and started walking into the woods when I was stopped.  I was told legal hunting is based off the times in the digest, not the weather channel, not an app, etc.    

ok but how are you hunting by simply walking in? Was your gun loaded ?

32 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

ok but how are you hunting by simply walking in? Was your gun loaded ?

Not loaded, shells in my pocket.  I asked about walking in before legal shooting and was told that was considered hunting (this was a small game conversation). 

The warden figured out pretty quickly I wasn’t a scumbag, and I really didn’t want to get into it to be honest (just doing his job).  I knew I wasn’t getting formally cited, so I listened to his instructions intently, thanked him for his time; and since then (especially for small game), I don’t start walking in until legal sunrise as listed in the digest.  

That year was a banner year for dirtbags at Manasquan WMA, I really don’t fault the warden (he didn’t know me or my intentions).  If it’s his piece to patrol, then I’d rather have a CO like that to be honest.  

21 minutes ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

Not loaded, shells in my pocket.  I asked about walking in before legal shooting and was told that was considered hunting (this was a small game conversation). 

The warden figured out pretty quickly I wasn’t a scumbag, and I really didn’t want to get into it to be honest (just doing his job).  I knew I wasn’t getting formally cited, so I listened to his instructions intently, thanked him for his time; and since then (especially for small game), I don’t start walking in until legal sunrise as listed in the digest.  

That year was a banner year for dirtbags at Manasquan WMA, I really don’t fault the warden (he didn’t know me or my intentions).  If it’s his piece to patrol, then I’d rather have a CO like that to be honest.  

Ok, thanks and I understand why you just went along with it. However, in my mind no way he could be right. Walking in with unloaded weapon can not be considered hunting, can it?

5 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Walking in with unloaded weapon can not be considered hunting, can it?

100% agree with you.  Had I actually received a violation I would have fought it, and likely won.

I think the CO was using me that year to help get the word out that the wardens were there and not playing games, I must have told the story to other a dozen hunters that season in those woods; (just my opinion).  In any event, it worked, that WMA has cleaned up pretty nicely over the years.  

4 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Ok, thanks and I understand why you just went along with it. However, in my mind no way he could be right. Walking in with unloaded weapon can not be considered hunting, can it?

You can be in the woods anytime within legal hunting hours the coincide with raccoon hunting coyote hunting upland bird hunting etc. Game warden's will decipher the difference between what you're hunting for checking your ammo.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

4 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

You can be in the woods anytime within legal hunting hours the coincide with raccoon hunting coyote hunting upland bird hunting etc. Game warden's will decipher the difference between what you're hunting for checking your ammo.

I would think even if coon hunting was not in play you can walk in the wounds with unloaded weapon before shooting time. We all do it all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I would think even if coon hunting was not in play you can walk in the wounds with unloaded weapon before shooting time. We all do it all the time. 

Legal as long as the weapon you're using to hunt with is unloaded. There may be stipulation times in state parks or county.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt