Wait or track soon?

Shot a buck a little after 6am this morning.  Shot felt ok but I waited about 20 minutes to get out of the stand to check arrow.  I found the arrow but now I’m worried about the hit.  The deer went through some brush right after the shot so I couldn’t really watch it run away but it sounded like it ran for about 40 yds and then I didn’t hear anything but I didn’t hear the typical crash either.  Could have dropped or he could have just kept walking and I didn’t hear him.    I checked the trail for the first 20 yds or so.  Blood trail is not great.  Some little patches hear and there but some of it is clumpy.   At first the arrow looked like a good hit with good red blood but on closer inspection it looks like some specks of food in it.   Doesn’t stink like a gut shot and no green or brown gut or vegetation on the arrow.   I’d wait until later this afternoon but rain is expected later this morning / early afternoon and gets worse later in the afternoon.   Current plan is to go out at 11:30 and take a look.  

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

08A33E8E-E158-472A-9F93-73FC00CE37AA.jpeg

FB83B933-6996-44D5-B69C-EAD0A65B8B1E.jpeg

Where were you aiming?  Did you see the impact?  Did the deer jump, turn, react before the shot?

Did it sprint off full speed or trot off?  Was it hunching?

Don't listen to me bc I'm colorblind, but to me that looks like a liver hit that possibly clipped the stomach.  That grainy stuff could certainly be stomach contents.

I'd give it as much time as possible.  Keep an eye on the weather 

1 minute ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Possible liver?  Give it time.  If its dead now it will still be there later!  I would go in at 1130 like you said, beat the rain.  Looks like a dead deer to me

Thanks.   My stomach is literally in knots with the waiting.   Not sure how I botched this one up.  

Just now, not on the rug said:

Where were you aiming?  Did you see the impact?  Did the deer jump, turn, react before the shot?

Did it sprint off full speed or trot off?  Was it hunching?

Don't listen to me bc I'm colorblind, but to me that looks like a liver hit that possibly clipped the stomach.  That grainy stuff could certainly be stomach contents.

I'd give it as much time as possible.  Keep an eye on the weather 

I was aiming right behind the shoulder for the double lung/high heart.  I could not see impact.   The deer ran off like it wasn’t hit but I didn’t really get to watch it as it got behind brush and trees so couldn’t see it much.  Sounded like it ran for about 40 yards and then got quieter but the woods open up so could’ve just been quieter due to that.   I did not hear any branches breaking or the deer crashing through anything after it got to about 40 yds.  

3 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I was aiming right behind the shoulder for the double lung/high heart.  I could not see impact.   The deer ran off like it wasn’t hit but I didn’t really get to watch it as it got behind brush and trees so couldn’t see it much.  Sounded like it ran for about 40 yards and then got quieter but the woods open up so could’ve just been quieter due to that.   I did not hear any branches breaking or the deer crashing through anything after it got to about 40 yds.  

Ok.  It does seem like a liver hit and maybe you clipped the stomach.  You have the right idea.  Just wait it out but give yourself an enough time to track before the rain starts.

Not sure where you're located,  but maybe some folks here could help track if you want

Edited by not on the rug