I would like y'all's opinion on deer hunting in the wind. I'm taking my 11 YO son out tomorrow for our second bow hunting trip of the season, but the forecast is calling for 20-30 MPH winds. I've heard that deer don't like to move in anything above 20MPH.  I plan on going anyway, any day in the field with my son is time well spent. With that being said, what are our (his) chances of success?  Opinions and/or  any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!

Tight Lines,

DonW

Just go and hunt. If I had made my decisions on the weather the night before, I would have not have experienced 75% of the good times and success that I had!..Git out there with your son!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Where are you hunting with a forecast of 20-30 mph wind?

I prefer steady wind over calm. But not at 20-30

10 is nice it takes your scent in one single direction and away from your area 

anyway I would go if I was you but stay on the ground 

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1

Shot one of my best bucks in a sustained 20-30mph wind. Two years later my son did the same thing. Just have to keep shots close. Heavy wind as the rut begins won’t make bucks stop seeking IMO

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Where are you hunting with a forecast of 20-30 mph wind?

I prefer steady wind over calm. But not at 20-30

10 is nice it takes your scent in one single direction and away from your area 

anyway I would go if I was you but stay on the ground 

I'm hunting in Kansas, where the wind never stops blowing. We will be hunting from a ground blind, so I need not worry about branches and whatnot. Thank you all for your advice and opinions!!

Tight Lines,

DonW

• Thanks 1

Kansas!!!!!  Hunt no matter what it's doing!  You answered your own question, "where the wind never stops".  Them deer are so use to wind it's just another day for them.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1
2 hours ago, DonW said:

I'm hunting in Kansas, where the wind never stops blowing. We will be hunting from a ground blind, so I need not worry about branches and whatnot. Thank you all for your advice and opinions!!

Tight Lines,

DonW

When I lived in the midwest and covered Kansas by car as part of a seven state sales territory, sustained 30mph winds were considered a calm day.  Has that changed?  :) 

• Haha 2
35 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

When I lived in the midwest and covered Kansas by car as part of a seven state sales territory, sustained 30mph winds were considered a calm day.  Has that changed?  :) 

Unfortunately, no, it did not Sir! I often wonder why I moved back, but everything else outweighs a little breeze from time to time. LOL!!

Pretty sure there’s a study with gps collared deer and found that they move more on windy days. It makes them uneasy overwhelming the senses. I’ve seen some nice bucks on really windy days it’s just they have the advantage of sneaking up on ya!