transaction fee AND convienence fee??

Transaction fee is to cover the credit card fee they incur.  Convenience fee is an add-on for their service.  The license and permit fees go to the state.  However I would assume that tech company doing the license sales gets a nice contract with the state for providing its services, so tacking on a convenience fee is exorbitant IMHO.  Admittedly I am speculating on the contract and reasoning, but that would be how I'd expect things to be structured.

• Agree 1
Just now, BowhunterNJ said:

Transaction fee is to cover the credit card fee they incur.  Convenience fee is an add-on for their service.  The license and permit fees go to the state.  However I would assume that tech company doing the license sales gets a nice contract with the state for providing its services, so tacking on a convenience fee is exorbitant IMHO.  Admittedly I am speculating on the contract and reasoning, but that would be how I'd expect things to be structured.

I agree for the most part. Contract fees cover IT, employees, etc.  It's hard to say if it's unfair. 

I have 2 places near me to purchase..  Walmart which sometime doesn't have someone that can do it. Dicks which always has someone up front that can opperate it.  I took $500 cash but asked if I could pay with card.. He said sure can, so I did..  Amazon pts for me...

That's a good point, don't think places like Walmart and Dicks charge you for the credit card fee or a convenience fee.  They make $0.50 per item sold I believe given by the state.  But the state also provides them with the machines and supplies.  The overhead for running a website to support this adds up, but again that should be part of the contract.  So that feels like a lower than desired contract price, so the company is offsetting that with these fees OR the company is just being greedy.

I'm a NY resident now so I have to pay non-resident fees to hunt NJ, I solved the problem.  Going forward I'll no longer hunt my home woods in NJ. Just not worth it, sad about it but It just doesn't add up for me.  NY only for the next few years at least.

Buy one permit online: $31.95

Buy one permit in the store:$28.00

Buy two permits and a buck tag on line:$95.85

Buy two permits and buck tag at store$84.00

I don't mind paying 3% convience fee but 13% adds up quick on 14 permits

• Like 4
3 hours ago, bushden said:

What a bunch of BS sounds like something on a Monopoly Board.  The state outsourced the process to save money and then sticks it to us with a bogus charge to hide any increase in license fees when in fact that's exactly what it is

Not exactly by in store no fees

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

That's a good point, don't think places like Walmart and Dicks charge you for the credit card fee or a convenience fee.  They make $0.50 per item sold I believe given by the state.  But the state also provides them with the machines and supplies.  The overhead for running a website to support this adds up, but again that should be part of the contract.  So that feels like a lower than desired contract price, so the company is offsetting that with these fees OR the company is just being greedy.

We did not have all the fees when the state was running the online system, they outsourced and probably saved a bunch of money dumping an expensive state run system and upped the anti by allowing the contractor to charge service and use fees in addition to the normally poorly run government

just remember you have to pay cash in the store.  
Walmart and Dicks will take Credit Cards or even gift cards. But most mom and pop shops only take cash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

For what it’s worth- most states have these fees attached. Bought license in 5 different states. I know 4 had it. I’ll have to check the 5th.

Each state has pros and cons. Our online system is great now. But our permit/tag/stamps are BS compared to other states. 

Yes, but New Jersey has very liberal bag limits. I hunt in Maine also, one buck and you are done for the season.

As a landowner down here in WV I can hunt and fish without a license on my property but the licenses and extra tags is under 100$ Bear,doe, etc. Blown away with the prices. I'll be purchasing non-resident fishing in Maryland and Pa as well next spring for trout

I don't mind the extra charge considering by the time you drive to Walmart or else where's, find an employee and then find employee that knows the system and then system is down or the printer is broke. The couple of extra dollars is well worth it:up:

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, bucky said:

The couple of extra dollars is well worth it

Which couple dollars is it though?  Is it the Convenience fee ?? Or is it the transaction fee?? The multiple fees is what annoys me (oh, and let's not forget the extra $2 fee for the green paper, but at least that's optional).

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Which couple dollars is it though?  Is it the Convenience fee ?? Or is it the transaction fee?? The multiple fees is what annoys me (oh, and let's not forget the extra $2 fee for the green paper, but at least that's optional).

Transaction fee is for credit card fee.  Kind of like a cash n credit price for gas.