Can you answer me a few questions on deer hunting stuff? I'm a brand new hunter and I don't have anyone to act as a mentor.

8 minutes ago, Mark R. said:

thanks for the patience. 1 last question: If i have a deer permit (which has no limit on doe), how do I tag the deer? I'd assume I wouldnt put a physical tag on it because its an unlimited use one.

Welcome to the site.  I strongly suggest you read, then re-read, then re-re-read the Digest until it starts making more sense to you.  Our laws can be confusing, but they don't change very much once you learn them and when they do, the Division shows changes in red letters.  

Your hunting license allows you to hunt any public lands open to hunting on state forests or wildlife management areas.  Some towns allow hunting, but some don't or require additional trespass permit to access those lands to hunt.  Same for most county land hunts. 

Here is specific info regarding physically tagging your deer and what to do with your deer tag that comes with your license and with any Permit Fall Bow permits:

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ahrs.htm

3 minutes ago, Kayak Ken said:

There are apps like OnX (by Garmin), Huntstand, and Huntwise. These apps show public land and property ownership as well as tell you what zones they are assigned. They will help show you what property you can hunt on. They do require a subscription.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I just downloaded it. Looks like it will be really helpful. Thanks

14 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Your hunting license allows you to hunt any public lands open to hunting on state forests or wildlife management areas.  Some towns allow hunting, but some don't or require additional trespass permit to access those lands to hunt.  Same for most county land hunts. 

Here is specific info regarding physically tagging your deer and what to do with your deer tag that comes with your license and with any Permit Fall Bow permits:

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ahrs.htm

is wildcat ridge wma good for deer? I see that place is a possibility for me but Idk if there is any deer there

Friday is the last day you can hunt any place open to hunting with just your fall bow license.  Starting Saturday you must also have a $28 doe permit to shoot the limit of doe for each zone you want to hunt in, and a $28 buck stub if you want to shoot a buck.  Buck stub is good for any zone you have a doe permit for.  You can only get one buck stub no matter how many doe permits you buy.

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Friday is the last day you can hunt any place open to hunting with just your fall bow license.  Starting Saturday you must also have a $28 doe permit to shoot the limit of doe for each zone you want to hunt in, and a $28 buck stub if you want to shoot a buck.  Buck stub is good for any zone you have a doe permit for.  You can only get one buck stub no matter how many doe permits you buy.

I see that your profile picture is a bear. How can I bear hunt in NJ? I heard that you must do it on private land, but how do you find private land for bear?

In NJ if there’s woods there’s deer there! You don’t need any extra permits to hunt state lands only for some county lands will you need to acquire extra paperwork. Everything with licensing/permits is based on the deer zones. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Mark R. said:

is wildcat ridge wma good for deer? I see that place is a possibility for me but Idk if there is any deer there

I’ve never hunted it but know others here have. You also have Berkshire Valley WMA, Sparta Mountain WMA, and other state land nearby your area. County Parks as well. But check Parks website closely for how to apply for their hunts. 

22 minutes ago, Mark R. said:

I see that your profile picture is a bear. How can I bear hunt in NJ? I heard that you must do it on private land, but how do you find private land for bear?

I'm not sure if you can still get a permit to hunt bear or not for this year, but all statelands including wma's are closed to bear hunting and next year it looks like there will be no bear hunting anywhere thanks to our governor.

44 minutes ago, Mark R. said:

Saturday would be a good day to just walk slowly and quietly in the wet leaves and possible wind to explore the area for deer sign.  May even get lucky this time of year and have a buck chasing a doe come right at you.  Look more than you walk, and listen for grunts.  Best part of hunting is exploring grounds and finding a good spot on your own.  Shooting a deer that someone else put you on is no fun.  Deer can be found in most places.  Look at maps for the places you want to hunt.  Google maps in satellite mode even helps find swampy areas and in 3D will show you the contours.  Always good to have a compass pointed in a direction that will take you back to the road, and print out a map of the area.  Fully charged cell phone with location turned on will show you your location on google maps and the direction you are heading.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Mark R. said:

Yeah your chances, odds are one in a thousand.

16 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yeah your chances, odds are one in a thousand.

To me it sounds like wildcat ridge is your favorite spot and youre trying to keep it hidden