Jump to content

Straight on shot at 3 yards from the ground (THP)


Recommended Posts



I guarantee you that most of the deer blood tracking dogs are called in for are on broadside shots.


Guaranteed that more tracking dogs would be called on more frontal shots

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Huntfree77 said:


 

 


Guaranteed that more tracking dogs would be called on more frontal shots

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

 

My only point was that even complete broadside shots even go wrong. I have never seen a poll that compares the two. It would be interesting. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it the other night on a 6 PT. The bolt literally almost cut his heart in half, I've never seen such an easy blood trail. It was the first time I tried it only because I felt he wasn't going to offer me any other shot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, archer36 said:

My only point was that even complete broadside shots even go wrong. I have never seen a poll that compares the two. It would be interesting. 

Its not the point of even broadside shots go wrong.  Its the point of taking a hi percentage shot.  There is less that can go wrong on a broadside shot than a head onshot.  Yes under a few select conditions head on is very deadly but should not be one that is advocated for as a hi percentage shot to take,  especially with new hunters.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Its not the point of even broadside shots go wrong.  Its the point of taking a hi percentage shot.  There is less that can go wrong on a broadside shot than a head onshot.  Yes under a few select conditions head on is very deadly but should not be one that is advocated for as a hi percentage shot to take,  especially with new hunters.

Well I never said I "advocate" it. I said a lot of factors must be in place. The correct distance, the correct equipment, the correct skills. Think about it.  On a broadside shot, you can hit liver and intestines which would lead to a non-recovery in some cases. A frontal shot is usually lethal or non-lethal. If it misses the important softball size area, it goes skidding off to the sides. A flesh wound. A lot different than a liver shot or gut shot deer that will live for hours and die a painful death. Bottom line is it all comes down to shot placement. We all know that can only be controlled by the person shooting. A skilled person taking a frontal shot is better than an unskilled one taking broadside. It's not a all or nothing situation. I respect anyone that says they would NOT take it but to say no one should do it is bad advice. You can only state what's good for YOU.  The taboo towards frontal shots was developed many years ago. Our equipment today is so much better and allows us to be more successful than ever. 

Edited by archer36
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone remember this straight-on shot at an elk? Just watch it. It's amazing - from the elk's behavior (it didn't move until it toppled over!) to the blood coming out like a faucet.

Go to 1 minute 8 second mark:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mazzgolf said:

Anyone remember this straight-on shot at an elk? Just watch it. It's amazing - from the elk's behavior (it didn't move until it toppled over!) to the blood coming out like a faucet.

Go to 1 minute 8 second mark:

 

Yeah. That's a pretty old one. A frontal shot on an Elk is a bit bigger than a deer too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...