IGNORED

Straight on shot at 3 yards from the ground (THP)

dlist777

Deadly shot if there ever was one. From some of the pics posted the shot is technically to high...needs to be just above  brisket ...there is a spot about the.size of a baseball. 

Saying what I've said...from a treestand it's not easy...from the ground very doable shot. But one must really understand the anatomy and be steady enough to make the shot.

IMG_0052.JPG

Never a shot I'd personally take but to each their own. I don't want to risk having to track three miles..a mile..500 yards..heck a 100 yards. I want that deer to expire as quick as possible. Last thing I want to do after taking a poor shot is consume hours of the day tracking a deer, or take up someone else's time to do it. 

2 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

No for me.  History has shown me to let them walk past and then take the quartering away chip-shot, where I have chance to get liver, both lungs and heart all in one.  Most lethal shot there is. 

I agree with this but in the video the deer spotted them. Would that change the fact of letting go or not? 

Here is a video from TenPoint's Website. This deer is standing somewhere between Quarter Towards and Frontal. The guy takes the shot. He is using a Crossbow that shoots about 170 lbs of KE. Things have changed guys. We are not JUST shooting 60 lb Compound Bows anymore. I can understand a compound shooter saying that frontal shots are risky, but crossbows bring the sport to another level in terms of accuracy and power. 

3 hours ago, dlist777 said:

I don't know if anyone on here follow the hunting public on YouTube.  They had a PA public land challenge and a pretty neat episode.  I link to it below.  I'm interested in hearing fellow sportsman feedback.  If you want to skip, go to the 19:00 mark.  The hunter calls in a beautiful buck to 3 yards from the ground and shoots.  He's an accomplished hunter and archer.  It ends out getting only one lung and liver.  They do recover it, but it's not quick and you can tell at certain times during the recovery he is worried.   He clearly has a good bow set up for penetration because the arrow goes through and they recover the arrow.  

I know straight on shots are considered no/no's traditionally with archery equipment, but I wonder what you would honestly do in this situation.  I'm not looking to shame anyone or call into question their ethics.  Just if you were there, would you do it.  Waiting for a better angle isn't really an option.  

Honestly, I think I would have taken it.  I can't see me just letting him walk that close when I'm face to face that close.  Especially since he's at full draw when the buck comes out the grass (so it's not like a surprise face-to-face situation)  But, as you can see, a lot can go wrong even at 3 yards.

If you have time, watch the whole episode, it's kind of cool and you can get the build up, but if you just want to see the shot, go to 19:00 or so.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwM06wk3M5A

I have been watching those guys for a while now.  I like them they take risks and don’t do conventional hunts.  Take the risks and rewards will come!

39 minutes ago, SoxFan said:

To each their own, 100% agree. Also agree that the crossbow elevates the penetration capabilities. 

Totally disagree that a crossbow increases chance of penetration. ...there is nothing but skin to go.thru which.allows the arrow to.drive into the vitals. Think of the soft spot below the Adams apple....that's the spot you want to hit...deer, elk etc...Doesn't matter.

29 minutes ago, Trophy8 said:

Totally disagree that a crossbow increases chance of penetration. ..

If your bow can shoot at 400 FPS I will agree with you
Most bows will not do this and this is with big mechanical :

D691D808-AC28-4371-B438-1FEEE59EBBB7.jpeg

0033114A-D48B-46DA-95D8-D98A776EABDD.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic

Done it many times. Didn't have to track any more than 50yds.   All were within 10-15yds with a compound but did do it once at 20yds with the crossbow.   From a tree I aim between the neck and shoulder so it will come out between the back end of the front legs.  Don't remember any not being a heart shot, and they all died quickly.  Done it from the ground many times too.  Can remember one from 10yds being a heart shot when I was on slightly higher ground.  If the arrow doesn't go all the way through when shooting from the same level, which it never did for me, it tears them up inside as they run.  I've had bad hits and long tracks with broadside shots, though. Too high, too far back or forward, low, between where the heart and stomach meet under the lungs, glanced down rib cage when too close of an angle.  It's not a given either if it's broadside.