This is a very common topic I beleive..but I have never paid any attention to stand related threads because I have been using ladder stands only since I started hunting.

Does anyone run into any problems with wet or ice/snow covered trees?  I am concerned about this and also climbing in the dark which I have yet to do.

Any tips/ tricks appreciated

I can't recall any issues....Of course wear safety harness, tie the top section to the bottom section just in case the bottom slips, once the teeth dig into the tree it's locked in

I have found over the years, that api s chain grips hard wood better then summit s cable. Never slipped in my api, bit have slipped in a summit.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

No but make sure you select a tree with good bark like an oak and not smooth bark. This will ensure a good bite.  Climbing in the dark is not an issue for me. 

• Agree 3

Many years ago, I hunted my buddy’s fathers farm in an ice storm. I got about 20 feet up in my Summit climber in the dark and was just about to attach my safety strap when I took a very fast ride down the tree. My feet were still attached to the stand The whole event took about 1 second. I was hugging the tree for dear life. That was enough for me. Never use a climber when the tree is icy. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. Now I even use a lifeline in my ladder stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Codaboy said:

I have found over the years, that api s chain grips hard wood better then summit s cable. Never slipped in my api, bit have slipped in a summit.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

API's have much sharper angled teeth that bite harder than Summits... I actually took a file to my old summit to get it to bite the bark better.

Edited by Bowhunter458
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
API's have much sharper angled teeth that bite harder than Summits... I actually took a file to my old summit to get it to bite the bark better.

Boy, I wish that I did that back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I slipped once on an Oak tree (my fault) just make sure to put your weight on your heels before lifting the top 

section. Like was mentioned above be sure to tie both sections together so you can't lose the bottom platform

30 minutes ago, Gman said:

I've lost the bottom platform, even tied to the top it is no fun to pull back up the tree!

Thats why I climb with a small lowering device. If in trouble you just get lowered to the ground.

• Like 2

I agree on not climbing on an iced tree.  It's probably OK, but why push it....wet has never been an issue...actually improves the bite.   Also:

1.  always use your tether and move it up as you go.

2. always tie top to bottom of stand so bottom can't fall

3.  have an escape plan if you find yourself  hanging from your tether.  you need some way to take your weight off the tether and then be able to move it down (and repeat) and work your way down.