IGNORED

Best slugs for savage 220

BIG PAT

I use Remington accu tips. Tried a lot of different brands but the shoot the best for me. Lightfields were right behind them.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 hour ago, Whitetail31 said:

Mine shoots 3” accutips great. Like said good luck trying to find anything right now. 

I have shot both 2 3/4 and 3" accutips out of my 220 and the difference is very slight and I would rather shoot the 2  3/4 with a little less recoil which increases MY SHOOTING PERFORMANCE.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

We used the Accutips for years after extensive comparison testing, however, as they were the most accurate for us the expansion and blood trails were somewhat lacking. 
We’ve switched the Remington Barnes Expanders which are equally as accurate with better expansion.

But as others have said, not much is available right now.

I sighted my new 220 in on friday paired with a sig sauer scope with custom turret to 300 yds...sighted in at 50 with a less than 1 inch group pretty much in the bullseye..mounted the custom turret set to 100yds with pretty much same results at 50 yds..3 inch accutips off a leadsled...i could not find enough of any other ammo to compare

Edited by Buckmaster3405

I use 3in accutips

I tried the 2 3/4 but was able to get more 3inch

Sighted in 3.5 inches high at 100. Will be shooting more this week. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I agree the 3" Accu-tips group the best out of my 220.  The 3" group significantly better than the 2-3/4". 

I've heard people complain the AccuTips don't open up on impact.  IMO The slug is over a half inch in diameter. When it makes a hole that big it doesn't need to open up. Think about it: a .30 caliber soft point or ballistic tip rifle bullet is.300 inches in diameter.  When it mushrooms on pass through it expands to about 5/8"(.625) thats not much bigger than the unexpanded 20ga slug.  Yet more deer have been killed with a.30 caliber rifle than any other projectile.

I have 15 rounds of AccuTips with the season approaching. I will only fire two or three at the range to make sure my scope is on target.

Since Remington has gone bankrupt, in the future the availability of this ammo is questionable. I'm going to try those some alternate ammo for that gun next summer. However any sabot slug ammo is in the area of $3 for each trigger squeeze.  I don't want to screw around with new ammo too much.