Chicken of the woods question

I harvest them often.  First, make sure it’s not growing on any pine tree because they can be toxic. I take them off of oaks.    If. you are taking the entire thing, Slice across the base but leave some on the tree so you don’t kill the root system ;  it’ll occasionally come back.  I take the young petals as they are usually more tender.  

9 minutes ago, NorthJerseyMike said:

I harvest them often.  First, make sure it’s not growing on any pine tree because they can be toxic. I take them off of oaks.    If. you are taking the entire thing, Slice across the base but leave some on the tree so you don’t kill the root system ;  it’ll occasionally come back.  I take the young petals as they are usually more tender.  

How do you tell the younger ones front the older?  Sorry for all the questions, first time harvesting dont wanna screw it up.

19 minutes ago, Septicdude said:

How do you tell the younger ones front the older?  Sorry for all the questions, first time harvesting dont wanna screw it up.

It usually shelves from ‘top to bottom’ with the younger shelves at the bottom in my experience.  I just cut a few bits cutting up slightly away from the tree vertically.  The older and drier it gets the more like eating dry cardboard it becomes.

Some take it all then dry it and grind it to a fine powder to add to soups and stews but I have not done that personally.