IGNORED

10/25 Check In

Zone50BugNerd

had a great afternoon hunt but first 2.5 hours were dead.   Got to watch a very mature buck work 2 mature does and am kicking myself for not taking two different 32 yard broadside shots -  only because with each doe, they were aiming my way, walking my way... Both times, the doe broke off and ran opposite direction when he took a violent lunge. This after watching him stand motionless for 5-10 minutes at a time, before moving again - as only a very old buck will do. 

At age 56, having  taken and observed enough  mature bucks during the rut, I was still on adrenaline overload and when he finally ran off with the last doe, I started shaking uncontrollably.   I usually only get that AFTER the shot, and 2-3 times i nearly drew, so it was as if I did. 

A very mature buck, was very much rutting, and targeting two very mature does.      I suspect that buck already got laid this week, these were not his first of the 2020 fall season.    

As much as it seems like a "lull" this time of year - it is a lull, but only until you are in the right place, at the right time.   I think up here in NW Jersey tomorrow or the day after it will really break loose and be crazy - but keep in mind, the truly mature bucks are ALREADY on the right does.  The "crazy" we see during the chasing phase are more of the bucks 1.5 to 3.5 years old.      But still history shows it's now the best time to be in the woods, for the next 3 weeks without question

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….