6 minutes ago, NorthJerseyMike said:

Good luck today!  My son and I are in the blind.  We have nice bucks on camera and he’s the hunter.  Please pray to Orion that he connects today! He’s put his time in and we need youth hunters to stay interested... 

Good luck to your son. Dont make it so much about the kill as it is about the experience. I started hinting in 1973 when there was only one doe day with shotgun. It took me 5 years to connect on a doe.  I did not start bow hunting until 1978. So make it about the ecperience. Killing a deer for the freezer is the icing on the cake. Good luck again.  

In ground blind. Had big lone doe 30 yds N of me at first light. Supposed to be N wind.  Snorted like I never seen.  Figured hunt was blown - but later was grunting in a small basket rack and he hit that same scent line and did a 180 and bolted - taking a larger rack I did not see with him.  Sure enough milkweed floater confirmed that the flow was moving S to N.  Of course now that hunt is completely busted - the wind is blowing out of N which is what I set up for 

52 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Good luck to your son. Dont make it so much about the kill as it is about the experience. I started hinting in 1973 when there was only one doe day with shotgun. It took me 5 years to connect on a doe.  I did not start bow hunting until 1978. So make it about the ecperience. Killing a deer for the freezer is the icing on the cake. Good luck again.  

I know,  but it’s his third year of hunting hard and he hasn’t had a shot...

Z50 was dead as a door nail once again.  I think it feels more like a lull this year to me because I didn’t hunt September at all.  I’ve kept a journal on this property since 2012 and looking at it now, historically, this property is always dead the last two weeks of October.  Good news though, my notes tell me the best two weeks are coming up, those being the first two weeks of November.  5 years out of 8 I have records on having taken deer (2 bucks and 3 does) on Veteran’s day.