Pheasant season is over for us

ElevatedHunter

Elevated - 

I know it is not the same as hunting over your own dog...but...

If you want to see some nice dogs do their thing, you should take in a field trial or two while your dog is on the Disabled list.

Indian Creek has a trial scheduled for Nov. 8.  It is a walking trial  and I suspect you will se a bunch of nice dogs entered there, mostly pointers and setters.  

There will be several trials down in Medford, at the English Setter club in the coming weeks.  Most of those trials are horseback events, but there is often a wrangler at the trial with horses to rent.  If you want to see some of the very best shorthairs in the country in action, you could go down to Wye Is. MD  to view the NGSPA championships.   They usually  have a wrangler, or one of the pros can loan or rent you a ride.  I would suggest you focus on the shooting dog event, as the all age competition might be  a bit much for the average bird hunter.

RayG

Elevated - 

I know it is not the same as hunting over your own dog...but...
If you want to see some nice dogs do their thing, you should take in a field trial or two while your dog is on the Disabled list.

Indian Creek has a trial scheduled for Nov. 8.  It is a walking trial  and I suspect you will se a bunch of nice dogs entered there, mostly pointers and setters.  
There will be several trials down in Medford, at the English Setter club in the coming weeks.  Most of those trials are horseback events, but there is often a wrangler at the trial with horses to rent.  If you want to see some of the very best shorthairs in the country in action, you could go down to Wye Is. MD  to view the NGSPA championships.   They usually  have a wrangler, or one of the pros can loan or rent you a ride.  I would suggest you focus on the shooting dog event, as the all age competition might be  a bit much for the average bird hunter.

RayG

Is Garrys the 7th or the 8th? I’ll definitely be going to that one. And I didn’t know about the others. I’ll definitely have to check them out! Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elevated - 

Thee are two websites you should look at.  The first is the American Field website and the second is the AKC website.

The American Field website has a calendar feature that you can scroll through  to locate trials.  The trials are presented by date, but could be anywhere in the USA, so you have to look at each one to see where it is being held.   Kind of a pain if you don't know who does what in your geographic area, which is where you are right now.   The site  does carry info on all FDSB sanctioned trials, walking and horseback.    The Indian Creek trial is an NBHA walking trial it is running on both the 7th and 8th.

https://americanfield.villagesoup.com/media/Common/AmericanField/2020/9/21/3035671/39009.pdf  

Just so you know the derby stakes are for dogs that  need not be steady to wing and shot.   The shooting dog stakes are for "finished" dogs, steady to wing and shot.  On Sunday there is a Gundog stake where, typically, judgement ceases at the flush, so the dogs need not be steady to wing and shot.   Call the number listed for any info you may need.

The AKC website is a little harder to navigate but  you can hone in better on what is is happening in your area.  Get on their website, search for events, then search for performance events, field trials and select the states you want to search.  

The AKC also sanctions hunt tests, which are all walking.   You may want to take a look at one or more of these, since they might appeal to the walking hunter a bit more.  I would  watch senior or master hunt tests  if you  and want to see some nice dog work at  more "hunter friendly" ranges.  

Trial performances  tend to push the envelope as far as range is concerned, and horseback trials push the envelope more than walking ones, with dogs being out of sight fairly frequently.    Hunt test dogs work at distances which are more typical of what a hunter would expect and are typically within view for the entire brace.

RayG

15 hours ago, birddogger said:

Elevated - 

Thee are two websites you should look at.  The first is the American Field website and the second is the AKC website.

The American Field website has a calendar feature that you can scroll through  to locate trials.  The trials are presented by date, but could be anywhere in the USA, so you have to look at each one to see where it is being held.   Kind of a pain if you don't know who does what in your geographic area, which is where you are right now.   The site  does carry info on all FDSB sanctioned trials, walking and horseback.    The Indian Creek trial is an NBHA walking trial it is running on both the 7th and 8th.

https://americanfield.villagesoup.com/media/Common/AmericanField/2020/9/21/3035671/39009.pdf  

Just so you know the derby stakes are for dogs that  need not be steady to wing and shot.   The shooting dog stakes are for "finished" dogs, steady to wing and shot.  On Sunday there is a Gundog stake where, typically, judgement ceases at the flush, so the dogs need not be steady to wing and shot.   Call the number listed for any info you may need.

The AKC website is a little harder to navigate but  you can hone in better on what is is happening in your area.  Get on their website, search for events, then search for performance events, field trials and select the states you want to search.  

The AKC also sanctions hunt tests, which are all walking.   You may want to take a look at one or more of these, since they might appeal to the walking hunter a bit more.  I would  watch senior or master hunt tests  if you  and want to see some nice dog work at  more "hunter friendly" ranges.  

Trial performances  tend to push the envelope as far as range is concerned, and horseback trials push the envelope more than walking ones, with dogs being out of sight fairly frequently.    Hunt test dogs work at distances which are more typical of what a hunter would expect and are typically within view for the entire brace.

RayG

Thank you! I will definitely be checking some of these out this year.