IGNORED

Black River WMA Skeet Range vs Clinton WMA Range

smungung

To the people who have been to either recently, which one is usually less crowded on weekends? Also another question for everyone who's been to a WMA range before. How many hooligans have yall run into? I've had my share of getting flagged and would like to avoid it. There's no RSOs or Law Enforcement officers on the public ranges I assume?

Smungung

I believe the “fine” shot has a limit of no bigger than #4 bird shot. My father shoots at black river almost everyday.  He enjoys that range and most everybody he has met has been nice.  Clean range, most everybody does thier part and cleans up after themselves.  Weekends are closed sometimes for shooting tests.  He is a member of cherry ridge gun range but prefers black river for shooting clays.

Rules are fine shot. Don’t over think it. I normally shoot at Clinton. I was just there this weekend. It was busy but within 30 mins the place cleared out. Everyone was friendly and safe. It was nice to see the amount of fathers that had young kids out there shooting and enjoying it. I had my 5 year old pulling the release cord on the thrower for me to shoot. She had a blast. Slowly getting her started. 

1B546DB2-2A2E-4F49-A5C9-45C7742C0A00.jpeg

i cant speak for black river. i only took my test there. 

clinton can get busy. i try to go on crappy weather days or week days. weekends there can be hit or miss. some times its almost empty. sometimes i had to drive away and return later. 

i never ran into people not being responsible. but im sure those types are everywhere. just look at the old roof the clinton rifle range had...

Can’t compare the two since I haven’t been to Clinton in a while. Blackriver gets busy on weekends but if you get there early (can’t shoot until 9 am) or later in the day, you should be fine.   Never met a hooligan at Blackriver . The shooters I’ve seen are responsible and cooperative. Just follow the rules and be respectful. Have fun.

47 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I live less then 2 miles from the black river range and it seems like a lot of shooting going on there.  I’m pretty sure it’s closed this time of year though only open during the spring/summer Stupid rule but still a rule.

I don't think that's right.. Black River range is open all year, but there are shortened hours during the summer. They did it for the complaining neighbors years ago ... people who buy the new homes near the range and then start complaining. Ticked me off.

Shot size is smaller than #4 lead, T steel.

DFW RANGE INFO

Edited by Jim_

1 hour ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I live less then 2 miles from the black river range and it seems like a lot of shooting going on there.  I’m pretty sure it’s closed this time of year though only open during the spring/summer Stupid rule but still a rule.

I also live up the road from Black River WMA; it’s open. It tends to get busy on weekends so you just have to get there before 9 am to set up or mid day-ish.   I was there today.  it’s closed on weekends in the summer for reasons Jim mentioned. But, it’s open on weekends now.  

1 minute ago, Merkel said:

I also live up the road from Black River WMA; it’s open. It tends to get busy on weekends so you just have to get there before 9 am to set up or mid day-ish.   I was there today.  it’s closed on weekends in the summer for reasons Jim mentioned. But, it’s open on weekends now.  

know anywhere nearby that area to get clay pigeons?

Smungung

1 minute ago, Merkel said:

Everything is tight right now but check Ramsey Outdoors in Succassuna, Simon Peter in Newton or Andover Hunt and Fish. 

I’m going to Ramsey Outdoor tonight and will look. I’ll let you know. 

awesome thanks

Smungung

9 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I believe the “fine” shot has a limit of no bigger than #4 bird shot. My father shoots at black river almost everyday.  He enjoys that range and most everybody he has met has been nice.  Clean range, most everybody does thier part and cleans up after themselves.  Weekends are closed sometimes for shooting tests.  He is a member of cherry ridge gun range but prefers black river for shooting clays.

Anyway to find out when the shooting tests occur so i dont drive out there during them?

Smungung

7 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

Rules are fine shot. Don’t over think it. I normally shoot at Clinton. I was just there this weekend. It was busy but within 30 mins the place cleared out. Everyone was friendly and safe. It was nice to see the amount of fathers that had young kids out there shooting and enjoying it. I had my 5 year old pulling the release cord on the thrower for me to shoot. She had a blast. Slowly getting her started. 

1B546DB2-2A2E-4F49-A5C9-45C7742C0A00.jpeg

awesome father you are! what shotgun is that it looks nice

Smungung

30 minutes ago, smungung said:

Anyway to find out when the shooting tests occur so i dont drive out there during them?

N.J. F&W Hunter Ed does not close the shotgun range at Black River during Hunter Ed testing.  They only take a couple of stations.  The public can still shoot from the remainder of the stations.  You just have to follow the range commands during Hunter Ed - which amount to an occasional cease fire.