IGNORED

Help w Deer Hide

A&N_Hunter

Wife took a doe last night, dropped it off for donation. We had the hide returned as I’m looking to give a go at tanning.

ive not worked on the hide yet, as far as cleaning and scrapping, but should be able to get to it by this weekend.

Question is, will the hide be alright to chill in the refrigerator from now until Saturday, or should I throw it in the chest freezer and thaw?

thanks!

4 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Should be ok as long as its not wet and full of blood. Pushing the limit that long. Freeze if possible  and take out the night before you going to flesh it. Are you going to salt it after fleshing? Then dry and send to a tannery?

Plan is to flesh, salt, wash and then use the hunter/trapper tanning formula. DIY project for us!

2 minutes ago, A&N_Hunter said:

Plan is to flesh, salt, wash and then use the hunter/trapper tanning formula. DIY project for us!

Oh ok doing it yourself.  Better off freezing it till you are ready to do it. Just make sure you get all red meat off it. 

I've trapped for years and have tanned a couple hides. Good fleshing is key to a good tan. Good luck