Selling raccoon meat?

Anyone know if it’s legal for me to sell raccoon meat? Or would I need all sorts of permits and stuff to do so. I looked through the hunting and trapping digest it only seems to mention parts of a deer that can be sold. I got some people who are interested in the meat after I skin them.

EDIT: Resolved, looked harder at the hunting and trapping digest. It says verbatim “The sale of wild birds and game animals, or parts thereof, is prohibited in New Jersey with the fol- lowing exceptions: legally trapped furbearers may be sold plus the sale of white-tailed deer hides, tails and the lower portion of the legs is legal.” 

Edited by smungung
Updated info
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, smungung said:

Anyone know if it’s legal for me to sell raccoon meat? Or would I need all sorts of permits and stuff to do so. I looked through the hunting and trapping digest it only seems to mention parts of a deer that can be sold. I got some people who are interested in the meat after I skin them.

Ask Governor just kidding, I don't have the answer to that. Back in the late seventies through the '80s eighties, worked all day Coon hunted three or four nights a week. My friend Bill had the hounds he worked at lubriplate in the ironbound section of Newark. The next morning the Brothers Fought over them in the parking lot.lol..$10.00.. just give then the meat as a good jester, friends helping friends,you didn't sell him the meat he gave you money to pay for your gas.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, DougM said:

Call NJ Fish & Wildlife conservation officer

for the answer

No need, he answered his own question. If you don't know what you are doing as new trapper, selling meat isn't something I would recommend. Learn to catch and care for them first

Edited by Bucndoe
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

No need, he answered his own question. If you don't know what you are doing as new trapper, selling meat isn't something I would recommend. Learn to catch and care for them first

He never said he trapped them he said he read the hunting and trapping digest.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Learn to catch and care for them first

There's no argument when it comes to learning how to care for fur however, with the right connections you can make more money selling the meat than you can the fur and as new trapper with limited equipment he may benefit more by selling the meat.  JMHO

• Like 2

In the late 70's I used to sell them to the garbage men who did our house for 10 bucks each.  Furs were going for about 40 back then. So, I did pretty good as a high school kid running a trap line before and after school on his bicycle in Bergen County.

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, Nomad said:

In the late 70's I used to sell them to the garbage men who did our house for 10 bucks each.  Furs were going for about 40 back then. So, I did pretty good as a high school kid running a trap line before and after school on his bicycle in Bergen County

You done good grasshopper. We ran out of Essex county hit Black River a lot. Yep $30-,$40 spot on. Parkway South 78 West. Couldn't continue up 78 West it wasn't finished yet we had to drive through mountainsid to get to 287 South and 10 West. I was a kid I loved the ride Chevy station wagon Hurst 4 on the floor, a little bit more than your bicycle well heck.

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/items/price-of-a-gallon-of-gas-in-1973

Edited by hunterbob1
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

He never said he trapped them he said he read the hunting and trapping digest.

If you have been following his posts, I believe he stated he has recently gone through the trapping cert course

Edited by Bucndoe
34 minutes ago, B B said:

There's no argument when it comes to learning how to care for fur however, with the right connections you can make more money selling the meat than you can the fur and as new trapper with limited equipment he may benefit more by selling the meat.  JMHO

Indeed have the connections for meat. But No clue who to sell the furs to tho so I’m thinking I’ll just freeze them.

theres almost no market left for the furs. i guess trying to sell the meat is next. trapping is on a fast downward slope to hell. if you trap, you must love doing it for the hobbie alone. 

checking traps everyday, no matter if you have the flu, covid, had your wisdom teeth pulled the night before, blizzard, flooding rains, is one  hell of a hobbie to have.

not mention the hours spent skinning, putting fur up, and disposing of carcuss. thats one hell of a hobbie for a guy living in the most populated and liberal state in the country. 

good luck on novemeber 15!

54 minutes ago, Nomad said:

In the late 70's I used to sell them to the garbage men who did our house for 10 bucks each.  Furs were going for about 40 back then. So, I did pretty good as a high school kid running a trap line before and after school on his bicycle in Bergen County.

i love when guys talk about trapping in the 1970s. ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kype said:

theres almost no market left for the furs. i guess trying to sell the meat is next. trapping is on a fast downward slope to hell. if you trap, you must love doing it for the hobbie alone. 

checking traps everyday, no matter if you have the flu, covid, had your wisdom teeth pulled the night before, blizzard, flooding rains, is one  hell of a hobbie to have.

not mention the hours spent skinning, putting fur up, and disposing of carcuss. thats one hell of a hobbie for a guy living in the most populated and liberal state in the country. 

good luck on novemeber 15!

I enjoy the roughness of the hunting lifestyle, trapping is just naturally the next step for me to explore lol.

• Like 1