they are starting to come back into my areas.   Buck are officially off their summer / feeding patterns, it's all about seeking right now, making scrapes and rub lines.   They are liking the thickets trying to flush out a "warm" doe. Definitely in the "pre-rut" stage but as I said yesterday, some does can be bred starting right around now. 

Edited by JHbowhunter
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Andy I have had that problem all season.  Have some bucks but nothing that I want to go after. This past week I checked 6 cameras and not one buck over 100".  But there are many great bucks getting shot this year all over the state. Lot of guys have lots of good bucks on Camera.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

They're all at Jack's

if that were true I would be tagged out already...   Been a tough fall for me - but I also had PSEG running a new gravel road through my prime bedding all of September and first week October... Deer were just starting to return then it was 10 days in row of all out bear blitz, every camera, loaded with bears, up to the night before the bear opener.    Magically or mysteriously - all the bears vanished as of bear opener,  and deer are returning...

I expect the bears to return next week adding to the challenge. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

I pulled a whole bunch of cams the other day that a mainly had on community or traditional scrapes.  The first week of October had quite a few new bucks and some I’ve known from the past make an appearance.  This week they all went back into hiding.  I am seeing some bucks traveling into new areas showing a dominance / pecking order happening.  It will all blow up at the end of October.  I’ve seen almost no does recently.  I think we are going to have an intense rut this year.  

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

if that were true I would be tagged out already...   Been a tough fall for me - but I also had PSEG running a new gravel road through my prime bedding all of September and first week October... Deer were just starting to return then it was 10 days in row of all out bear blitz, every camera, loaded with bears, up to the night before the bear opener.    Magically or mysteriously - all the bears vanished and deer are returning...

I expect the bears to return next week adding to the challenge. 

Had bear in the morning and evening yesterday. They are a problem even with no bait.  Weather hasn't been great, either.  Cold snap tomorrow and pre rut just getting started could change things.

18 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

they are starting to come back into my areas.   Buck are officially off their summer / feeding patterns, it's all about seeking right now, making scrapes and rub lines.   They are liking the thickets trying to flush out a "warm" doe. Definitely in the "pre-rut" stage but as I said yesterday, some does can be bred starting right around now. 

Not by me. Last evening while hunting I watched 4 bucks all feeding together for almost 2 hours. Didn't even look twice at the does that passed by.

Everything I'm getting..literally everything is non-stop through the night. 9pm to 530am. Nada in day light. Very frustrating. Have 3 nice 9s, 2 of which I'd like to actually cross paths with...

Combination of lull I think and a ton of acorns in my necks of the woods....