Best and lightest boots for pheasant hunting

On 12/26/2020 at 3:23 PM, Farmshine said:

I have a pair of cold weather Rockies that I still wear that i got in the early 2000’s. Another pair I had for work lasted 15 years and the only reason I got new ones were because I wanted a zipper side. Maybe you have just had some bad luck, or maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search rocky boots fall apart on the web, unfortunately there are many unlucky ones like me... 

Edited by Bowhunter458
  • 1 month later...

I really like my Danners. They are well made. Size run halve size small. Require only a minimal amount of breaking time, 20-30 hours. Then they fit like a glove. Without an exterior treatment of water proofing they have been good for waking through a foot of water and mud. I also use a hiking lace pattern at the ankle bend (FYI) makes for easy breaking. https://wildproofgear.com/best-snake-boots/ I haven’t tested them as snake boots since there are no snakes in my area, but they work perfectly for mud water.

On 10/11/2020 at 5:30 PM, BIG PAT said:

What are your thoughts? I have irish setter upland boots now but find them way to heavy.  What boots do you guys like.

I have a pair of red wings I just use for light hunting that I have had for almost 20 years. and if I am going out in dry areas I use an old pair of tan military boots.

Everyone is different but pheasant hunting is a pretty easy task requiring not a lot from a boot. I wear bean boots but be advised the soles aren’t super aggressive. In pheasant hunts you typically don’t need that but the waterproof bottoms are nice if you hit or cross wettish areas. If it’s wetter, colder I’ll wear muck boots. The disadvantage there is the neoprene tops aren’t super tough. They’re under chaps anyhow though and I get a few pretty hard years out of each. 
Anything leather isn’t good imo for very long. Full rubber slops on your feet. I wear those two boots for all small game, turkey, deer (until super cold for deer) etc. Even for around house chores except they’re the older switched out pairs. 

20 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Everyone is different but pheasant hunting is a pretty easy task requiring not a lot from a boot. I wear bean boots but be advised the soles aren’t super aggressive. In pheasant hunts you typically don’t need that but the waterproof bottoms are nice if you hit or cross wettish areas. If it’s wetter, colder I’ll wear muck boots. The disadvantage there is the neoprene tops aren’t super tough. They’re under chaps anyhow though and I get a few pretty hard years out of each. 
Anything leather isn’t good imo for very long. Full rubber slops on your feet. I wear those two boots for all small game, turkey, deer (until super cold for deer) etc. Even for around house chores except they’re the older switched out pairs. 

I like the mucks because they are light and water proof, but you sweat to much with them on long walks.

1 minute ago, bushden said:

I like the mucks because they are light and water proof, but you sweat to much with them on long walks.

If you’re worried bout sweating you could fold the uppers down or as suggested try the bean boots. My feet sweat but not in those even with the rubber bottoms