IGNORED

Hauling Game Out of the Woods

SoxFan

17 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

I've used them, too. In case you don't know, there is a company called Demobags that makes 6 & 9 mil bags (Home Depot Husky Contractor bags are 3 mil), and also woven plastic bags ... really puncture resistant.

I bought a small, plastic tarp from Graingers that has steel grommets along all 4 sides, and I can really cinch up the deer in it with thin rope.

Ty 

Lots of good ideas here. Biggest part of it all is having a plan. If you hunt different areas and your aren’t hunting next to the parking lot then you will need different methods and approaches to get the deer out. I always plan out how I will get the deer out before the hunt and pack accordingly. Either sled, cart, or frame pack. I think this year I will even grab one of those cheap roll up sleds Lunatic posted. I will pack that in for PA rifle or quarter and pack out. I am done doing the death drag through the boulder fields. 

On 10/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, SoxFan said:

Great advice, thanks. A dragging tether came with my harness. Was worried about ruining the meat dragging it over a long distance, especially over rocks. 

I have used jet sled, cart, and tether.  I will say that the tethering over rocky distances tenderized the meat ;)

"God bless America and the 2nd Amendment!" 

www.NorthJerseyMike.com

UBNJ Member

OLM Knights of Columbus, Kinnelon, NJ

Have both.  Sled in the snow for sure, otherwise I stick with the cart.  Carts will roll over some big stuff. Then transfer it into the sled before loading it into the truck.  I spray the inside of the sled with permethrim mix and then the hide to kill ticks.  Ticks are dead before I get the deer home to skin it.  The sled creates too much friction on a flat surface.  Better off dragging the deer with shoulder straps.  Sled drags easier when not touching ground as much, like over rock, but the rocks will chew up the bottom, even with the added runners.  The runners don't protect the bottom between them, or seem to help much at all with cutting down friction.  Some situations they just dig into the ground and the bottom of the sled is still touching the ground.  Runners may help a little if using the sled for icefishing on clear ice.  

Don't get a cart with plastic spoke wheels.

Edited by Greybeard

Depends on the terrain and the hardness of the ground based on recent weather.  A sled would be more beneficial than a cart in some situations. I hunt two spots that are drastically different. A cart will sink in soft farm fields. In winter with snow and ice on the ground a "sled" or heavy PVC cover under the carcass will make the drag very easy. You have to think about your particular situations and figure what's best. I have both and use what makes sense at the time. As mentioned, it's work no matter what you use. You are just minimizing it. 

On 10/7/2020 at 12:04 PM, SoxFan said:

I hunt about a mile away from the car. Debating whether to get a Jet Sled or a Game Cart. Looking for recommendations and experiences, good or bad, with both.

Thanks for all the info. 

Update: The trail to my hunting location is mostly rocks and shale. There is little to no grass or vegetation on the main trail.

I think you would do best to get  a hunting partner !! A mile is a long way with any type of sled or cart.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I have a deer cart that I haven't used in years. I never found it to be easier or more convenient. I had a jet sled that was pretty handy but my wife stole it from me. She hauls hay, feed and horse crap in it behind her 4 wheeler. I drag everything the old fashioned way now. I've been using this stick and rope for a few years. I notch it for every deer I pull out with it.

20200922_063449.thumb.jpg.9b68a219376d40045c9c41558ca00f28.jpg

I tried pulling my son in the jet sled he's about 100lbs or so... Could barely move him on the grass in the back yard. To much contact with the ground. Haven't tried it in the woods probably would be easier with going over branches etc. I also have harness backpack style with a drag rope that has worked the best especially if going uphill. Your hands are free to grab limbs and help allows you to get as low as needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk