IGNORED

WTB - .223 semi-auto

JHbowhunter

I have really lost my way with guns. I have them, but with so much emphasis on bowhunting and fishing - just haven't added anything in YEARS.

I am thinking I need to own a common caliber like .223 in a common action like a mini-14, or AR type of weapon. 

1) Home defense

2) Target shooting

3) varmints

4) predator control

If anyone has something they are thinking of selling - please PM me. 

If anyone has any advice on what I should get, and where I should get it - please do post advice..

Thank you

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I went with the S&W MP5 and then changed out some of the hardware like the gas block and heat guard.  I had them in a number of calibers,  but, funny thing is, I lost them all.  I think price and availability will be an issue.  We are damn near neighbors so if I can find one and you wanna look at it, i can PM you my cell number. 

Edited by LittleM

8 minutes ago, LittleM said:

I went with the S&W MP5 and then changed out some of the hardware like the gas block and heat guard.  I had them in a number of calibers,  but, funny thing is, I lost them all.  I think price and availability will be an issue.  We are damn near neighbors so if I can find one and you wanna look at it, i can PM you my cell number. 

Thanks yeah let me know please... 

Cool looking gun - not even sure what size magazine we are allowed to have these days?  This says 30 shot - but I believe that is illegal in the great state of NJ?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

I am a big fan of 22-250 round. My favorite Cal to shoot and hunt with. It is amazing what a 22 cal can do on groundhogs, yotes and foxes with muzzle velocity of 4000 fps.
However, I can not say I have much experience with .223., although I believe its a much slower round

15 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Thanks yeah let me know please... 

Cool looking gun - not even sure what size magazine we are allowed to have these days?  This says 30 shot - but I believe that is illegal in the great state of NJ?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

I also have a S&W MP15. I did some of the same modifications as LittleM. They are a fun gun to shoot. 

Take a look on armslist.com. There are a bunch for sale that are reasonably priced right now. 

Edited by BillW0323

13 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

not even sure what size magazine we are allowed to have these days?

IIRC, even 9th circuit court's 3-judge panel recently ruled 2-to-1 that CA's ban on 11+ mags was unconstitutional (waiting for an en banc ruling now, I think)... but Jersey, it's law of the land right now.

4 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am a big fan of 22-250 round. My favorite Cal to shoot and hunt with. It is amazing what a 22 cal can do on groundhogs, yotes and foxes with muzzle velocity of 4000 fps.
However, I can not say I have much experience with .223., although I believe its a much slower round

yeah if I was going to go long range, 22-250 or 25-06 would be high on the list.   But this is more of a fun gun, self defense sort of thing that I could also potentially use to thin coyote's with someday.   .223 is the most common round and ammo availability is important. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I have really lost my way with guns. I have them, but with so much emphasis on bowhunting and fishing - just haven't added anything in YEARS.

I am thinking I need to own a common caliber like .223 in a common action like a mini-14, or AR type of weapon. 

1) Home defense

2) Target shooting

3) varmints

4) predator control

If anyone has something they are thinking of selling - please PM me. 

If anyone has any advice on what I should get, and where I should get it - please do post advice..

Thank you

owning one is a great idea. home defense though IMO is bad. the bullets will blow through walls and just the noise alone in a room will disorient yourself. but the other reasons are good enough to have one. 

12 minutes ago, Kype said:

owning one is a great idea. home defense though IMO is bad. the bullets will blow through walls and just the noise alone in a room will disorient yourself. but the other reasons are good enough to have one. 

It will help keep "them"  OUT of the home... lol

I shot a big 10pt once….

I know they are expensive, but I think I just want a mini-14 in .223... Probably stainless, with laminated or synthetic stock, and proper scope, and several 10 round magazines. 

I know if I got 5.56 a little more high pressure and can shoot .223 out of it as well.    But probably just the .223 

I see some on gunbroker and others sites, but not even clear if I can  just get it with my FID card shipped direct or do I have to have it shipped to local dealer?  I may just order new from local dealer as well... No rush - not sure

Damn look at this thing of beauty that sold:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/11486131

image.png.68af3dc71568fd283d969e509b1cec25.png

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

I know they are expensive, but I think I just want a mini-14 in .223... Probably stainless, with laminated or synthetic stock, and proper scope, and several 10 round magazines. 

I know if I got 5.56 a little more high pressure and can shoot .223 out of it as well.    But probably just the .223 

I see some on gunbroker and others sites, but not even clear if I can  just get it with my FID card shipped direct or do I have to have it shipped to local dealer?  I may just order new from local dealer as well... No rush - not sure

Damn look at this thing of beauty that sold:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/11486131

image.png.68af3dc71568fd283d969e509b1cec25.png

You cannot have it shipped directly. Have to go through an FFL. The online shop will ask what FFL you would like to have it transferred to.  I heard that some online places have stopped shipping to NJ recently. 

I like the looks of a mini 14.  The reports of poor accuracy makes me buy a AR-15.  The last one built I started with a bare receiver.   Bought the rest when things went on sale.   Assembled on the kitchen table. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

8 minutes ago, CJ3a said:

I like the looks of a mini 14.  The reports of poor accuracy makes me buy a AR-15.  The last one built I started with a bare receiver.   Bought the rest when things went on sale.   Assembled on the kitchen table. 

what would make a mini less accurate than an AR? I am not expecting target rifle accuracy out of a short barreled semi-auto.  

I shot a big 10pt once….

23 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

what would make a mini less accurate than an AR? I am not expecting target rifle accuracy out of a short barreled semi-auto.  

More than likely it has to do with ammo weight choice abd the barrel twist than the rifle itself.  Most don't realize 1:12  is not great for the 75 80 grain bullets. Heavier bullets need a faster twist rate to stabilize 

My cousin was shooting 75 grain bullets from his 1:12 with about 4 inch groups at 100.  43 grain v max has him at about 1 inch at 100..

Edited by vdep217