IGNORED

Chicken of the Sea

Zipper

Clam chum, small chunks of clams or squid on a long shank small hook. I prefer a hi-low rig to double your chances. Fish close to the chum pot, with a tight line waiting for the tap of a puffer. Lift on the hit, but remember, your not setting up on a Marlin. Then over the rail into the pail! Don't be afraid to move around if you don't find them right  away.  I moved 3 times until we found Fish ready to feed. A good Fish Finder helps locate the school! If all this fails, just throw out some crab traps loaded with chicken like I did.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I always wanted to try to fish for these little guys, but never knew where to look for them.

Where do you go to catch them? Are they in the bays or just ocean-side? Is there something you look for to know where to go (like structure) or ... is it just hit or miss?

11 hours ago, Zipper said:

Got out with my buddy Bob for an afternoon Blowfish trip. We ended up with 36 puffers in about 2 hours of fishing. Beautiful evening on the water, resulting in some delicious meals!

20201001_183315.jpg

FB_IMG_1601604086581.jpg

Terrific! You have to teach Hammer how to smile. LOL

5 hours ago, ratherbhunting said:

Nice catch!  My uncle used to call them "chicken of the sea". I have never caught or tried them.

Back in the 50s and 60s in Raritan Bay they were a pain in the ass like sea robins. Nice to see a comeback.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

5 hours ago, ratherbhunting said:

Nice catch!  My uncle used to call them "chicken of the sea". I have never caught or tried them.

Had them both in my lean years. Poor Man's surf and turf.

FB_IMG_1585607930251.jpg

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt