IGNORED

Private Property and Right to Bear Arms

MRMCR

1 hour ago, Bubblehead said:

I have to disagree. Why would someone call the cops just for seeing someone on their OWN land walking around with a gun?  It’s because everyone tries to hide their guns in order to not offend the liberal cry babies of the world. If being seen with a gun was more common then they wouldn’t be such a controversial topic in society. Use it or lose it

You answered your own question and you are correct.  The majority of this country and certainly states like NJ have grown accustomed to NO ONE legally carrying a gun and really the mere appearance of a gun (concealed or open carry) being a "threat".  Carrying is so rare in many areas (and really non-existent other than LEOs in NJ) that it concerns the public whenever a gun is seen (even something as innocuous as carrying a cased gun from your vehicle to your home because it MUST be nefarious because it's simply the presence of a gun).  The only recipe to change it is to both change the frequency and the context they are presented to the public.  IMO never going to happen in NJ.  Sadly, we see far fewer incidents where law abiding citizens are permitted to carry.  Not a smart move to roll into a building hell bent on committing a crime when half the people in there are carrying.  You aren't going to get very far without meeting EQUAL FORCE resistance (i.e. not a bucket of rocks).  There's little trust by the public in legal carry because all we hear are the negatives around crimes committed by illegal gun carriers/criminals and never about the crimes stopped by the usage or even mere presence of a gun by a law abiding owner (other than in the NRA magazine). 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Do you live in NJ? Do you live in the United States and watch the news? Im not saying right or wrong but in Liberal crazy NJ, you are more likely to have cops called than not. 

I lived in a very liberal town years back- was having work done on mmy place so couldnt use my driveway- cops showed up bc I "was walking down the street with a gun" aka got back from hunting and the shotgun was CASED over my shoulder PARKED in front of my house- Had a great conversation with the cop that was annoyed he got called out and asked me about hunting. Great guy. Not always the case

I do live in NJ and for a few years had lived in SC. In SC you saw guns all the time and no one ever got bothered because it wasn’t an oddity. I live in a liberal town and with a large degree of regularity have guns outside of my house in plain view of my neighbors. I’ll often clean them after a day at the range while sitting outside smoking a cigar. And when I come home from duck hunting I often uncase my gun in my drive way and carry my gun inside so I can hose my case off when it gets muddy. I don’t just sit with it in my lap on my porch but just regular administrative handling of my guns often leads me into situations that you think are too risque. It’s my property and my right as an American. If someone wants to call the cops fine but I’m not going to give up my freedoms just to appease someone else

It irks me to say it, but there is a need to be defensive about these matters.  Last summer, my wife and I were sighting in her crossbow (I have a 50-yard range in my backyard with a large and secure backstop).  The neighbors' kids saw us from the street, and ran home screaming that they saw a sniper!  I told my wife that I needed to nip this in the bud right now.  I walked over and spoke with the parents, explaining what we were doing, emphasized the safety precautions, and that they could come over and try it out for themselves if they'd like.  I think it was a positive experience for all concerned.  After all, this is New Jersey!

Looks like the anti's have accomplished something........many of us feel we have to conceal a firearm when bringing it into our own homes......I have purchased a few shotguns and rifles a few years back and made sure to wrap them up so the neighbors wouldnt freak out.........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

On 9/18/2020 at 6:20 AM, MRMCR said:

So heres some thoughts..........In NJ can you walk around your home and carry a handgun, shotgun or rifle ??  Lets say you could be viewed from a window................Can you open your front door and hold a firearm in your hands ?? or sit in a chair with a gun in your lap ??........Can you walk around your property and carry a firearm ??........Now lets say your home is within sight of a school ..........or living in an urban/ suburban setting verse living in the country ...........To some just holding a firearm constitutes a threat..........How about protecting your business ?? which may have a separate address from your home ........

If you really feel the need to have a rifle, shotgun and hand gun on you while home and walking around your own property, I would suggest you move into a better neighborhood. Mine is always within easy reach at home but never felt a need to make all the neighbors see my business. Why make neighbors nervous if you do not have to.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 9/19/2020 at 8:28 AM, bushden said:

If you really feel the need to have a rifle, shotgun and hand gun on you while home and walking around your own property, I would suggest you move into a better neighborhood. Mine is always within easy reach at home but never felt a need to make all the neighbors see my business. Why make neighbors nervous if you do not have to.

I spend a considerable amount of time outside when I am home. What makes me less likely to be victimized while outside then when I am inside?  

It always comes back to WHY...not the OP but in general, WHY do you want to walk around your house with a gun or sit on your porch with a gun. I'll never understand it. 

Although law would be on your side, Local PD vary from town to town and within the departments. It's like any occupation, you have good ones and bad ones. I'd HATE to have a person call the cops and claim they felt threatened bc I was randomly standing on my porch with a shotgun- then an idiot, or worse, Ahole cop shows up and makes it a bigger deal. Sure, you may win in court- AFTER you spend a small fortune and get branded as a whacko in town and have to explain to work why you have ot take days off bc you were charged with a weapons offense. 

Train at the range or large private land
Dont waste cops time by having to deal with "person with a gun" calls
Be a good neighbor
Protect the 2A without giving it a bad name
be normal
And....

We all win

Hawkeyes first sentence is the answer. Why are you in your yard with a gun ? (Hypothetically). If you have it out to clean it,great. If your walking property lines to be menacing to your neighbors then not great and you may have to explain yourself to an officer who gets called. Everyone just needs to apply a little common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Farmshine said:

Hawkeyes first sentence is the answer. Why are you in your yard with a gun ? (Hypothetically). If you have it out to clean it,great. If your walking property lines to be menacing to your neighbors then not great and you may have to explain yourself to an officer who gets called. Everyone just needs to apply a little common sense.

image.png.aa9c71da5fda74cd471276d218ffe217.png

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive