Private Property and Right to Bear Arms

So heres some thoughts..........In NJ can you walk around your home and carry a handgun, shotgun or rifle ??  Lets say you could be viewed from a window................Can you open your front door and hold a firearm in your hands ?? or sit in a chair with a gun in your lap ??........Can you walk around your property and carry a firearm ??........Now lets say your home is within sight of a school ..........or living in an urban/ suburban setting verse living in the country ...........To some just holding a firearm constitutes a threat..........How about protecting your business ?? which may have a separate address from your home ........

3 minutes ago, Live to Hunt said:

No I hear you I’m just discussing not knocking you. If you want the real answers that is my suggestion thats all. 

I know many of the real answers and I am no criminal.............

• Like 1

On your own property and the property of a business you own yes. Transport laws are in effect while taking it from one place to another. Keep in mind that although you have to maintain the sidewalk, you don't own that and that is a no no.

The obvious answer to your questions are yes. However, interpretation by local LE may be a different story. 
if you couldn’t hold a firearm in your home, how would you ever be able to own it? In other words, you handle a firearm to clean it, work on it, case it for transport, etc. 

However, if someone saw you through your window and interpreted a threat, the police would be called and you’d be in the middle of what you fear may happen by the tone of your question. 

Edited by Pathman

Rights are like muscles. If you don’t exercise them you lose them. If you want to carry on your property do it. If someone calls the cops then comply with their orders and then calmly explain what’s going on. Next time they get called on you they will likely not even care. Just show up, make contact, confirm it’s you and then be on their way

Edited by Bubblehead
Typo

It always comes back to WHY...not the OP but in general, WHY do you want to walk around your house with a gun or sit on your porch with a gun. I'll never understand it. 

Although law would be on your side, Local PD vary from town to town and within the departments. It's like any occupation, you have good ones and bad ones. I'd HATE to have a person call the cops and claim they felt threatened bc I was randomly standing on my porch with a shotgun- then an idiot, or worse, Ahole cop shows up and makes it a bigger deal. Sure, you may win in court- AFTER you spend a small fortune and get branded as a whacko in town and have to explain to work why you have ot take days off bc you were charged with a weapons offense. 

Train at the range or large private land

Dont waste cops time by having to deal with "person with a gun" calls

Be a good neighbor

Protect the 2A without giving it a bad name

be normal

And....

We all win

Edited by Hawkeye57
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

It always comes back to WHY...not the OP but in general, WHY do you want to walk around your house with a gun or sit on your porch with a gun. I'll never understand it. 

Although law would be on your side, Local PD vary from town to town and within the departments. It's like any occupation, you have good ones and bad ones. I'd HATE to have a person call the cops and claim they felt threatened bc I was randomly standing on my porch with a shotgun- then an idiot, or worse, Ahole cop shows up and makes it a bigger deal. Sure, you may win in court- AFTER you spend a small fortune and get branded as a whacko in town and have to explain to work why you have ot take days off bc you were charged with a weapons offense. 

Train at the range or large private land

Dont waste cops time by having to deal with "person with a gun" calls

Be a good neighbor

Protect the 2A without giving it a bad name

be normal

And....

We all win

I have to disagree. Why would someone call the cops just for seeing someone on their OWN land walking around with a gun?  It’s because everyone tries to hide their guns in order to not offend the liberal cry babies of the world. If being seen with a gun was more common then they wouldn’t be such a controversial topic in society. Use it or lose it

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
25 minutes ago, Bubblehead said:

I have to disagree. Why would someone call the cops just for seeing someone on their OWN land

Do you live in NJ? Do you live in the United States and watch the news? Im not saying right or wrong but in Liberal crazy NJ, you are more likely to have cops called than not. 

I lived in a very liberal town years back- was having work done on mmy place so couldnt use my driveway- cops showed up bc I "was walking down the street with a gun" aka got back from hunting and the shotgun was CASED over my shoulder PARKED in front of my house- Had a great conversation with the cop that was annoyed he got called out and asked me about hunting. Great guy. Not always the case

Edited by Hawkeye57
  • Agree 1

On my property (60 acres) when I’m working in the woods, I carry. I don’t do it just bc I can or to make a statement about 2A rights. I do it bc the bear situation is out of control, and there are a few here who have no fear and get way to close for comfort. With that said, I don’t feel the need to sit on my porch with a shotgun and a Marlboro Red. I also don’t feel the need to take a dump with my AR. However, if someone else wants to do those things, have at it. Just consider the reality, vs someone’s perception. A big scary gun turns into a hysterical phone call to 911 by a passer by and now you have a visit  from the police. I like to avoid  such situations bc nothing good comes from it. 

• Winner 1
1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

Most town's urban wise, have a 10' set back rule, meaning they own 10' from the curb in, that's your boundary.

That is the sidewalk and doggy strip area

I remember several years ago when a guy moved in down the block (cop in another town) asked if I carry around my house.  I told him it's a 50x100 lot and shooting at someone would be a bad idea.  All the ppl in the neighborhood know the cop and I are gun nuts so I don't see anyone calling the cops if they see me with a gun.  I used to sit on my patio in the back yard and clean them with no issues.  A couple of parents even told their kids if something is wrong at home that they should run to my house and they would be safe.