Curious what others look for in a climber

I posted the other day a comparison between lone wolf sit n climb and x stand.  Some (like my wife) wonder why 2 climbers to me its simple short sits in a new area of hard woods simple the lightest the x stand.  A ore determined tree for a longer sit the lone wolf.  Going in unknown to pines ill bring a light stand n sticks..  

I also have a couple hang ons in place already but like to move if I need to.

To me stands are like fishing poles each has their application.  Whats everyone else's thoughts.  With tgat said if I could only have one stand it would be a light weight hang on with light sticks

1 minute ago, nmc02 said:

comfort....Summits

yes no doubt they are comfortable but at what expense..  i had an open shot. (Stolen out of my truck) and a sentry sold didnt like.  In my opinion they dont pack well and are loud.  The lone wolf sit n climb i think is just as comfy but im not of large build so I could see the uncomfortable to some

Just now, Lunatic said:

Number one thing for me Is safety and feeling 100 safe using it. If it’s not well made with strong and tree gripping straps I’m not touching it. I had two drops years ago. One was with a metal strap and one was with a cable. I feel this way about all of my climbing equipment. 

I'm confident with the summit x stand snd eolf system but with that said summit is the only one I've ever had slip

I have had my summit for about 25 years. It is bulky. Got the straps down to a science so I do not get that clanking walking with it on my back. I have fallen asleep in it. They are too comfortable. I am not looking to upgrade at this point of my life. I use it when I need to set up to take advantage of an opportunity. Otherwise I use my ladder stands.

44 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Number one thing for me Is safety and feeling 100 safe using it. If it’s not well made with strong and tree gripping straps I’m not touching it. I had two drops years ago. One was with a metal strap and one was with a cable. I feel this way about all of my climbing equipment. 

This. I use summit. Bulky but I’ve always felt safe. Left in woods and rusted- replaced cables for $25 and good as new 

I only have experience with my Summit I bought about 5 years ago. The Summit is heavy and bulky to me - and sometimes loud if I don't get the straps just right (clanky when getting ready to attach to the tree, too). But the thing is super comfy! I don't use it enough to upgrade or buy something else, but I do keep meaning to look at the Lone wolf - everyone seems to rave about how light they are.

I have a timbertall tree stand for my climber. It's a shame they stopped making them supposedly for liability insurance. The great feature with them is angle adjustment after you climb up or as you go up. And I sometimes fall asleep in the suspended seat. 15 pounds too so nice weight to pack in.

Vito, I have tried many. Each have their own attributes but I settled on the Summit Viper with some modifications to stand and process

1-attach backpack straps to upper portion instead of lower. Makes it pack and carry better

2- add third hand stabilizer straps, safer climbing and rock solid once in place. Torqued down during packing the stand is totally silent

3- always put top portion on tree first, hang to side while attaching bottom. Makes attachment way easier and quiet

Edited by MGHunter66