IGNORED

What’s up with all the road kill squirrels

Russ 11

5 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Traveling 287 and 80 the other day was an insane amount of road killed squirrels . Today coming back from working in Connecticut on 287 counted over 60 dead from about a mile before the parkway exit to about the first half mile on the parkway .  Has anyone else noticed this ?  I don’t believe I have ever seen this many dead and especially on major highways . 

I noticed and thought the same thing the other day driving with my wife on 80. Found this article (old but makes sense). 

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/dead-squirrels-32602

A good mast crop last year meant a bumper crop of squirrels this year.  But this fall so far looks like a poor mast crop year, so all those squirrels need to travel to the few oaks and hickories that are good mast producers.  The black walnuts always seem to produce around here, so those are magnets where you find them.  In the meantime, we drive over gray moguls.    

31 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

A good mast crop last year meant a bumper crop of squirrels this year.  But this fall so far looks like a poor mast crop year, so all those squirrels need to travel to the few oaks and hickories that are good mast producers.  The black walnuts always seem to produce around here, so those are magnets where you find them.  In the meantime, we drive over gray moguls.    

Brian you read that on the internet . Don't try and be Mr Smarty pants .  Lol      Makes perfect sense .

18 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Brian you read that on the internet . Don't try and be Mr Smarty pants .  Lol      Makes perfect sense .

The "gray moguls" tells you it was all original.  A skiing reference that reminds me of the Halloween snowstorm that took down the pheasant pens at Rockport and all the birds escaped only to be mowed down all over route 57.  It was like driving over feathered moguls for about two weeks.  :)