So you can not hunt with your kids in the Monmouth county park system.

So apparently I was not aware that you can not hunt with your kids in the Monmouth county park system. So as hunters we have to pay a 40$ fee to hunt the parks.

Which I gladly pay as I know there are expenses that parks take on for us to hunt there. However What I have just learned is that you can not take your child along

while you are hunting. I guess its ok to Hike,bike ride, fly kites many other things that you can do in a park with your children but when it comes to hunting its a no.

Sounds like a bit of discrimination to me. How its worded is that no hunter under the age of 18 shall be able to obtain a permit to hunt. And a hunter is not allowed to be accompanied by anyone without a permit. I was told that even if you walk in to dump some bait with your kid you are in violation.

I said to the park ranger so in an Era when its hard enough to get the kids away from the video games this is your plan. By the time the kids 18 he wants no part of hunting.

Monmouth Parks are NOT about the sport of hunting, they are about "deer management".  For years I would go to the meetings advocating that they could really elevate the already great reputation of Monmouth Park System by advocating how hunters help deer overpopulation and using the program as a prime example of why hunting is important.  Nope, let's not talk about it so as to appease the anti's, quietly using hunters to save the parks in the background.  I've always wondered what would happen if hunters boycotted.

• Agree 2
12 minutes ago, Williemo said:

Monmouth Parks are NOT about the sport of hunting, they are about "deer management".  For years I would go to the meetings advocating that they could really elevate the already great reputation of Monmouth Park System by advocating how hunters help deer overpopulation and using the program as a prime example of why hunting is important.  Nope, let's not talk about it so as to appease the anti's, quietly using hunters to save the parks in the background.  I've always wondered what would happen if hunters boycotted.

Pretty sad. Im not going back.

• Like 1

I agree that officials need to do more to encourage youths becoming involved in hunting before they are too old and get distracted by other activities... 

But Monmouth County Park system has an excellent program with some beautiful areas to hunt.....areas that were closed for many years.....until park managers were able to get local politicians to allow controlled deer hunting with the main objective to cull the herd for stewardship of forest health....recreation was not a main focus for allowing hunting. 

That being said...the program has been in place for many years with great success for effective and efficient deer management.. ..and many residents have seen positive results of the program....and hunting seems to have become more tolerable to non-hunters over the past few years....so now may be the time to ask park managers to look into allowing kids going hunting w an adult.....but insurance issues may be the ultimate reason they will never allow it. 

• Like 1
yup it's a stupid rule that they have. I don't see the point of it unless it's because it's state government rules that they need to follow or they won't get there funding for insurance coverage at the parks. But who knows 

That’s not the answer because you can hunt with your kid in a state forest or park that allows hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you Bonefreak, despite the kids argument, the program is great and should be a model for other parks.  As to the insurance issues, IMO State laws supersede County laws.  From an insurance aspect, so long as State laws are followed regarding hunters (i.e 10-13 must be accompanied by hunter 21 years or older) I don't see how youth hunters can be prevented if they are following State laws.  That would be like saying 18 year old kids can't drive into a park.  I just don't think anyone has ever challenged the Park System.  

• Like 2
I agree with you Bonefreak, despite the kids argument, the program is great and should be a model for other parks.  As to the insurance issues, IMO State laws supersede County laws.  From an insurance aspect, so long as State laws are followed regarding hunters (i.e 10-13 must be accompanied by hunter 21 years or older) I don't see how youth hunters can be prevented if they are following State laws.  That would be like saying 18 year old kids can't drive into a park.  I just don't think anyone has ever challenged the Park System.  

I agree 100%. If you aren’t breaking the state game laws they can’t do anything other than ban you from hunting in the park in the future.

8 hours ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

I agree 100%. If you aren’t breaking the state game laws they can’t do anything other than ban you from hunting in the park in the future.

This is what they will do. They will not allow you to get a permit to hunt the park system anymore.

• Like 1

Their park- their rules. They may see it as a huge risk having someone under 18 hunting a park that has people walking dogs, jogging, bike riding, etc among people hunting. As adults we are supposed to be more responsible, but we all know that is not always the case. Unfortunately, government determines the amount of responsibility by a random age. It is a shame you can not take your kid  hunting there. But don't let that make you bitter towards managing our deer herd.

With these types of things, it's about reducing headaches for the senior management at any county park system.  They have to face a ton of anti hunting pressure, more so than most any other state in the Union.  And they know for a fact that allowing hunters to keep deer in check and getting them to toss in $40 on top of that beats the heck out of hiring a firm like White Buffalo who charges more than twice that per deer shot.  But the fear they have of the antis going nuts if they see younger children hunting is enough for them to make silly rules as they have done in Monmouth.  It's not an insurance issue because hunting remains, despite weapons used, one of the safest of all outdoor activities.