IGNORED

Have we lost our way???

MGHunter66

When I look back on the top 5 biggest bucks I've shot over the years, only one came in following a doe that was headed to bait and that happened to be on one of Rusty's cull hunts where shooting a decent buck is a bonus since the job is to shoot any and all deer to get numbers in check with the environment.Β  All the others were shot on travel corridors and often in states where baiting is illegal like PA andΒ NY.Β  I grew up hunting in the mid 70s when you had to be (I think it was) 100 yards from your bait, so I never bothered to hunt that way.Β  Β I prefer to shoot mature bucks along their travel routes to and from feeding and bedding areas or where hot does may be lurking during the rut.Β  But if bait is what you want to do, have at it.Β  Just know that one day in the (likely) not so distant future, CWD will come knocking and the Division will shut down all baiting when that happens.Β  That's going to force all those deer hunters that only know one method to learn still hunting, stand hunting over travel corridors, driving, etc.Β Β 

I wonder if I would feel differently about baiting had I grown up much later when NJ's deer herds peaked in numbers or if doing it didn't just mean you stared at black bears your entire time on stand.Β  But up where we are at, baiting is for bears and not for deer.Β  With minor exceptions.Β 

1 hour ago, tpr1921 said:

To me, the controversy of taking a deer on his own terms could only be resolved by one hunting them naked and when one walks by choke it to death. Otherwise its not on their terms and you have an unfair advantage.Β 

That’s how I feel about fair chaseΒ :happywave:

24 minutes ago, toxo said:

Yes we have! I posted years ago asking if Trail cams where fair and I got blasted.

We come from a much different generation before the Outdoor Channel, YouTube and the myriad of gizmos, gadgets and bucks in a bag. In the end we are sort of forced to get on the bus or be left at the station.

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

When I look back on the top 5 biggest bucks I've shot over the years, only one came in following a doe that was headed to bait and that happened to be on one of Rusty's cull hunts where shooting a decent buck is a bonus since the job is to shoot any and all deer to get numbers in check with the environment.Β  All the others were shot on travel corridors and often in states where baiting is illegal like PA andΒ NY.Β  I grew up hunting in the mid 70s when you had to be (I think it was) 100 yards from your bait, so I never bothered to hunt that way.Β  Β I prefer to shoot mature bucks along their travel routes to and from feeding and bedding areas or where hot does may be lurking during the rut.Β  But if bait is what you want to do, have at it.Β  Just know that one day in the (likely) not so distant future, CWD will come knocking and the Division will shut down all baiting when that happens.Β  That's going to force all those deer hunters that only know one method to learn still hunting, stand hunting over travel corridors, driving, etc.Β Β 

I wonder if I would feel differently about baiting had I grown up much later when NJ's deer herds peaked in numbers or if doing it didn't just mean you stared at black bears your entire time on stand.Β  But up where we are at, baiting is for bears and not for deer.Β  With minor exceptions.Β 

I think it’s coming soon.,Β 

they year they ban baiting we will kill 1/2 of what we do now. And the state will issue a record of ticketsΒ 

3BE31EC6-2D8D-42B1-9957-3B5142E97269.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic

5 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I think it’s coming soon.,Β 

they year they ban baiting we will kill 1/2 of what we do now. And the state will issue a record of ticketsΒ 

3BE31EC6-2D8D-42B1-9957-3B5142E97269.jpeg

Agreed, but if you go to any PA hunting store these days, they are full of bait.Β  Yet that state does not allow baiting.Β  I guess compliance will be tough, especially with a state like ours where so many deer hunters rely on bait to hunt over.Β Β Β Β Β 

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Agreed, but if you go to any PA hunting store these days, they are full of bait.Β  Yet that state does not allow baiting.Β  I guess compliance will be tough, especially with a state like ours where so many deer hunters rely on bait to hunt over.Β Β Β Β Β 

Can you feed in PA?

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Just wondering,Why is it so acceptable to bait Bears and not Deer.Once you get a Bear to a bait he becomes one stupid critter and easy to kill.

11 minutes ago, toxo said:

Just wondering,Why is it so acceptable to bait Bears and not Deer.Once you get a Bear to a bait he becomes one stupid critter and easy to kill.

I have no idea.Β  I do know hunter success increases with baiting for both deer and bears and I would guess Division biologists will tell you that's the reason baiting is so prevalent and legal in NJ for now.Β  Both deer and bears are considered invasive in numbers in NJ, so doing whatever is needed to reduce their numbers has included baiting in addition to for deer, 5 to 6 month long seasons, unlimited doe harvest in most zones, EAB, etc. and for bears it has meant an initial shotgun season that now has a second archery/muzzy season to further help hunters reduce their numbers.Β  Β